PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

jo.jo76
15-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a LO who is 27mths and she really struggles walking up and particularly down steps. Today's school run involved her screaming and shouting help me just to walk down the few steps from my house, then she fell up the kerb several times, then fell down the steps leaving the school.
She doesn't have well fitting shoes most of the time. Last weeks were size 6, this weeks were size 8, not sure if the shoes are the problem, although she struggles on the stairs indoors with bare feet.
I'm not sure if this is usually for this age, all my own children were early walkers and the other LOs I have are similar ages and fairly confident with stairs.
She has stairs at home so it's not that she is not used to them. When I spoke to Mum before Christmas she said she's fine on the stairs at home.
I'm doing her 2yr check this weekend so want to be clear if this is usual and what I can do to help her.
Thank you

MessybutHappy
15-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Is the Mum's "fine on steps" the same as yours? If the child is hands and knees up them and on the bum down them at home, then yes, that's fine, but not exactly practical!!! I have one similar age and also not great...frustrating, but we're practicing!!

hectors house
15-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I have a lo 23 months who has been walking 6 months who is still very stiff even with just one step out or in the front door - I have just found a small tree trunk round to put in the garden to see if he will practise stepping on and off - could you do something similar to encourage balance and confidence? My little one is still going up the stairs here on his hands and knees and down on his tummy.

oxfordshirecm
16-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Could it be a confidence thing? My dd won't go up or down steps without someone holding her hand- she can do it just won't. She will stand there calling me till I help her. She feel down some steps about 6 months ago- not many as I was with her and not badly but was enough to scare her and now she doesn't do steps.