PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Jingle Jangle
15-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Hello! I'm all very new to this so if its been asked before my apologies! I have just started childminding and currently don't have any children. This afternoon I have been approached by a lady asking if I could look after her children in the holidays. Her children are 5 and 18 months. She can't commit to any days or hours and it would be on an as needed basis. Would you go for this? Would I need to do all the contracts etc? What about observations? Would they need doing? Any advice would be great and sorry to have waffled on! x.

MessybutHappy
15-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I would say yes, but only if you have space, if she wants you to keep days fee to care for her children she'll need to pay a retainer. You'd have to all the obs etc on the 18 mnth, you may not need to do so much for the five year old. You might get a full timer come along between now and then, so be clear that if she wants as and when, she'll have to take her chances on you having spaces! And yes, you'd need to do contracts etc.

LauraS
15-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I have a couple of ad hoc contracts like this - just make sure that she is aware that there can be no obligation on either side - you may not be able to accomodate her little ones every time she asks. Make sure the contract makes this clear too.

SDC34cr
15-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi it depends what you want to do, I started out that way one and a half years go nd hve bsiclly filled up on children like this. My daughter now works with me and we only have 1 child that comes everyday the others all come odd hours and days. We have some that come two days a week and others that we only see now and again. We have contracts for all but i just cross through things that dont apply and add things i need to add. I dont charge if children dont come and i dont charge for holidays etc. It just depends on if you are hoping to depend on the income or not. We have been so lucky and as i am accredited i have now taken on some funded twos from the childrens centre. It has really worked for us and we usually have 20 different children each week and have 30 on our books.

littleamy
15-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi I am new here. Only been Childminding for 9 months but have had quite a few parents asking for this type of thing. I have always said they need to give a minimum of so many hours or days a week as can't just leave a space open without some commitment from them

littleamy
15-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Yes you still need contracts and observations exactly same. I personally would not take them on with no commitment to any minimum hours