PDA

View Full Version : All funding gone :(

mrstom
15-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Bah humbug...

Just received a letter from my LA informing me that due to cuts, from April there will be no more free training courses offered in my area (which includes the mandatory ones like First Aid and Safeguarding courses).

I know I'm lucky to have had any free training offered at all as lots of minders have to pay, but it's made me really sad that this is the way things are going. We need all the help we can get at the moment and little by little everything is being chipped away.

Looks like my barely-there profits will have to be stretched just that little bit further :(

Rick
15-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Bah humbug...

Just received a letter from my LA informing me that due to cuts, from April there will be no more free training courses offered in my area (which includes the mandatory ones like First Aid and Safeguarding courses).

I know I'm lucky to have had any free training offered at all as lots of minders have to pay, but it's made me really sad that this is the way things are going. We need all the help we can get at the moment and little by little everything is being chipped away.

Looks like my barely-there profits will have to be stretched just that little bit further :(

Yes I've heard similar things with our LA. I would have thought having well trained childminders would be of benefit all round so making it free would encourage people to attend.

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Seems all the help for childminders is getting cut yet more and more is expected!

lisbet
15-03-2013, 02:02 PM
:( Sorry to hear that *hug*

vickylou
15-03-2013, 02:40 PM
We've had to pay for all our training courses here now for a couple of years only one exempt is safeguarding. First aid is £35 all the others are £25. If we cancel within a week before the course we have to pay £45!!! On top of course fee!! Death in family or hospitalisation doesn't come up as a good enough excuse!!!! As a network minder having to do 18 hrs training every year this is now a big expense!!

mrstom
15-03-2013, 02:50 PM
We've had to pay for all our training courses here now for a couple of years only one exempt is safeguarding. First aid is £35 all the others are £25. If we cancel within a week before the course we have to pay £45!!! On top of course fee!! Death in family or hospitalisation doesn't come up as a good enough excuse!!!! As a network minder having to do 18 hrs training every year this is now a big expense!!

Safeguarding is £30 for half day, £60 for full day and there is "a non-attendance charge irrespective of reason"

I was hoping to join our network this year too

mummyMia
15-03-2013, 04:17 PM
That's such a shame.:( It seems like funding is drying up in a lot of places. Just before I registered, my council cut all funding, and the DO told me that the number of new childminder application plummeted. :(

shortstuff
15-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hhhhmmmm another way to make agencies more appealing me thinks!

vals
15-03-2013, 04:54 PM
We have to find our own first aid courses. they are about £85.00. We have to pay £40 a year to access the other training, but the schedule has just come out and the courses are all during the week during the day, so not accessible for most childminders.
How can they say they want a higher quality and qualified level of care for children, but then not run any training that we can do. It feels like this is the start of the agencies as they may be the only way we can access training. Our network has now ended so no criteria anymore to attend training to be in that.

BattyNora
15-03-2013, 06:35 PM
I am just starting out on the road to registration and checked out LA courses this afternoon. £100 for first aid, £20 for safeguarding and the rest are between £20 and £30.

thills
15-03-2013, 08:46 PM
We have the same £40 a year subscription I wonder if we are in same area?! I have noticed a lot of the more interesting courses are week days and they have put some statutory ones on Saturdays, such as manual handling and health and safety :( yawn!

SDC34cr
15-03-2013, 09:42 PM
to be honest i dont mind paying for training if it is important, but i do agree that its a shame funding has been cut. The training courses i would like to go on from my local training booklet are always at silly times or far away making it almost impossible to attend.