PDA

View Full Version : Childminder's with Forest School Ethos

thenest
15-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi,
I am a childminder based within Worcestershire and I am currently completing a Early Years Foundation Degree. As part of the course I am researching how childminder's can introduce a Forest School Ethos / Woodland experiences within their settings, as I have a real passion for this type of provision. Below I have put together a few questions that would help me to obtain other views of childminders that have already introduced this type of provision. so if there is anyone who wouldnt mind sparing a few minutes to share your thoughts that would be great, as I understand time is precious. As the information will be used to inform my research all information shared will be kept confidential at all times any information can be withdrawn at any time and will follow the British Educational Research Association guidelines. Thankyou.

1.What do you think the benefits to your children have been since adapting a forest school ethos within your setting?
2.What did your children enjoy the most?
3.What barriers do you feel exist for childminders in adapting their outdoor environment to incorporate a Forest School Ethos?
4.How could these barriers be addressed?
5.Do you think your outdoor provision has been improved by incorporating a Forest School Ethos?

Little Puddings
15-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I will have a think, going to a conference for network childminders in our coubty tomorrow and will be given a presentation/talk on the Forest Schools so I should be able to give a better answer.
I am just about to put a research proposal together for my OU module so need to find something to research...

blue bear
15-03-2013, 07:07 PM
1.What do you think the benefits to your children have been since adapting a forest school ethos within your setting?
I've always been this way, it's more open ended and allows the children to explore critical thinking without the outcome ever being right or wrong.
2.What did your children enjoy the most? Being free and allowed to think for themselves. They love being Out in the woods as its different every time
3.What barriers do you feel exist for childminders in adapting their outdoor environment to incorporate a Forest School Ethos? Where they live, and locality to open spaces. Size and style of their garden and family use of the garden.
4.How could these barriers be addressed? Having portable resources that can easily be packed away at the end of the day, such as using compost in bags. Linking up with other childminders whose gardens are set up for forest school type learning.
5.Do you think your outdoor provision has been improved by incorporating a Forest School Ethos. My outdoors is what draws. Oat of my families, they love the fact children dig in mud, look for insects, have free use of logs, bug nets etc.

Answered without taking time to think so may come back and add to this.