PDA

View Full Version : observations

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Its time for me to start doing observations and I want to make sure I have got it right. This is a copy of my observation sheet if people could have a look at it and let me know if it is ok or if there is something I should change I would be very grateful. I was told that I had to include a space for parents to comment which I have done, does this mean though that I have to show parents the observation each time I have done one? Some parents come in a taxi and literally run in grab everything and go. They dont stop for a second and the same at drop off so would find this hard with some.
Thanks everyone

moggy
15-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I could not view your file but already sounds a bit complex for basic obs. You really only need a post-it note or a sentance jotted on a sticker and popped in a scrap book, with a photo if relevant. About 1 obs a week for a full timer is usually right, but can be more or less depending on what the child is doing. Then add area of learning (PD, PSED, CL etc) next to the obs, and if relevant note a 'next step'.
It is great to share with parents but not every obs, unless you use an online system to make is easy for parents to view whenever they want. Maybe share the scrap book every term or so. Ask parents to jot down obs at home for you too to add to the scrap book. Then every term or so you can look through all the obs, talk to parents and see where the child is compared to the statements in Development Matters, that is a good time to look at next steps too and how parents can support at home. Some people do longer, planned obs and write up a sheet for that, but I never have.
But everyone has their own way which develops over time, so as long as you find something that works for you and is not too time consuming that is fine.

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I have a part where the photo goes if there is one, a box to write in the obs, a box under that to write where it links to EYFS and a box for next steps. I have also put in a box for parent comments. I am also confused about the next steps though as when I have written them does that mean that has to be my next observation? If not how do you show that you have implemented the next steps?

mummyMia
15-03-2013, 12:40 PM
I think dedicating a whole page just for one single observation is too much, you will drown in paperwork. If your observations include photos you should be able to fit about 3 per page, even more if there are no photos.

I went on a training course this week and was given this example observations sheet. Have a look at the page with photos of Poppy:
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/361551/Guidance-for-planning,-observing-and-documenting-individual-v2.pdf

The 'future provision and support' box basically means next steps. You don't need to do next steps for every observation and you can leave this blank.

There is also a box for key person/parent notes. Again you don't have to fill this in on every page. You also don't need to get parents to write anything, you can fill it in yourself. For example, if a child takes a step for the first time, and you tell mum and she says something like, 'oh yes, x did that at the weekend' then you could just write her comment in yourself.

The areas of learning are all printed down the side of the page so all you need to do is highlight the ones that apply.

Hope this helps. :)

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 12:46 PM
That sheet is very helpful, thanks alot. :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
15-03-2013, 12:59 PM
The link to the Surrey CC stuff is really good. Thank you.

To the OP - I have two forms - one is the quick statement/links/next steps (if applicable) and then a longer one which I use to record focussed obs - for example where I'm looking to see if a child is doing somethin or not...

I ried the post it note system, but I'm too OCD for that! My DH calls me Monica from friends! Shame I can't apply that to the house which is currently extremely messy!

blue bear
15-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Have a look in the free resources,Sarah has written some really good stuff for observing including a great observation sheet which I use for more focused obs.

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 01:49 PM
One last thing. On the observation as well as writing/highlighting the EYFS links do we need to write the age group it also links in with?

mrstom
15-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the links to the Surrey website - some really good ideas there.

I'm in the process of tweaking my systems (again!) so it will come in handy

moggy
15-03-2013, 02:03 PM
One last thing. On the observation as well as writing/highlighting the EYFS links do we need to write the age group it also links in with?

No, I do not. But every term I look over the obs, read DM and look for a 'best fit' for the child for each area. I record that on a progress sheet.

moggy
15-03-2013, 02:08 PM
... I am also confused about the next steps though as when I have written them does that mean that has to be my next observation? If not how do you show that you have implemented the next steps?

No, a next step might be 'she enjoyed xxx so do more of it', or 'took first steps so now provide a push-along trolley and clear space for walking practice'- does not mean you then have to write that as an obs. A future obs may reflect what you have done as a result of a next step but it does not have to be as restrictive as that. The child might develop in a different direction or move on to a new interest. You could make notes in your planning or in a diary to show how you are acting on next steps byt providing experiences/resources to support them.