PDA

View Full Version : Campaign against ratios changes - more support

sarah707
15-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Another excellent article from Nursery World magazine explains why ratios changes will be detrimental to children's outcomes.

Too few staff can lead to premature independence | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1174655/)

Have you all signed the petition against ratios changes?

www.keepratiosdown.co.uk

Please share with friends, parents and colleagues. Govt have to listen to us :cheerleader:

silvermist
15-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks Sarah, ill read it later as Im supposed to be doing paperwork but keep having a sneaky look on the forum! :rolleyes: and Im the one who said I musnt let paperwork get on top of me!...note to self.....must try harder! lol

and yes Ive signed the petition too. :thumbsup:

ajc
15-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Wow that's a fantastic article and its common sense that children will suffer in the process.

Toothfairy
15-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks Sarah. Will have a look when it's nap time :thumbsup:

hectors house
15-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I can see where that article is coming from - I have a 4 year old who likes to be my little helper with the younger toddlers and babies - if nursery ratio changes are allowed to happen then I would think that nurseries would try to encourage "helpful" children to be surrogate childcarers. We all sometimes say to the older ones "just keep an eye on X while I take Y to the toilet" but whilst this is ok for a few mins to as an extra pair of eyes this cannot be allowed to happen on a regular basis - it would be to the detriment of all children - education and safety! A four year old in a nursery who "thinks" they have the same responsibilities as an adult childcarer would then more than likely find it hard to go back to being a "child" in a reception class.