PDA

View Full Version : Would you have been as nice

kel1983
15-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Yesterday was comic relief dress up day at the school we drop off and collect from. Unfortunately both our mums forgot and wasn't until they had left them with us we relised. So we were kind enough to find them a dressing up costume for the day. When one mum collected she suddenly relised and she didn't even seem to feel ashamed for the fact she had forgotten.

Well today was inset day. We only found this out ourselves by looking in the children s book bags for newsletters. None of the parents offer to give us a copy of dates etc. My co minder (mum) just happen to be looking out the window and saw one of the children, who doesn't come to us on a Friday, walking pass to go to school. This was the same family that forgot about comic relief.

My co minder opened the door quickly and shouted across to the mum. Again this mum didn't feel guilty about forgetting. She simply said "oh I have been dating for the last month and am on cloud 9" :angry:

I personally would have let this mum continue on to school to find out for herself. Is this nasty of me. I feeel sorry for the lo but feel mum needs to start getting her priority's right. She is relying on us to much and I am so cross about it

Koala
15-03-2013, 09:51 AM
OMG how does she manage to walk, it takes 2 brain sells to coordinate putting one foot in front of the other! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shortstuff
15-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Not sure how i would react at that point, I have reminded parents of an inset day a week in advance though as they had forgotten. I think sometimes it does take getting embarrassed to realise you need to look around you once in a while.

kel1983
15-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Oh I forgot to say I actually reminded her last night when she collected but as per usual she probably wasn't listening

MessybutHappy
15-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I would have - but then I'm a softy where the children are going to beneft! At least in doing this the child won't be "the one who turned up to school on inset day."

I do think that parents need a wake up call sometimes. As a parent, I've made made mistakes like this (my son didn't have his lunch when we left the house today so muggins here had to come back for it!) and I'd be glad if someone reminded me. That said, some parents seem to take so much for granted! I wonder sometimes if they see themselves as our benefactors in a "aren't we kind to pay you to play with our children all day" kind of way... Well no, actually, this is a service and people who aren't grateful don't get the best service so you'd better watch out 'cos next time you ask me for a favour it ain't going to happen! (And yes, its been a BAAAD week here too!!:laughing:)

chezzagriff
15-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I probably would have opened the door to tell her for the child's sake not for hers. Cant believe she has put dating her new partner as top priority though, poor child. When telling her it was inset day I would have made a joking but mean it comment such as "Good job I saw you, would have been embarrassing to turn up on inset day, hahahahaha"

ChocolateChip
15-03-2013, 11:31 AM
How far is the school? Personally if it wasn't that far and the child wasn't going to get soaked on the way I would have let her carry on and find out the hard way :D
Some I would have stopped but it sounds like this one needs a bit of a wake up call to take some responsibility for her child.

loocyloo
15-03-2013, 11:53 AM
we had a 'bake off' at school today and non-uniform ..

i saw 3 mums at school this morning - children in school uniform all saying they didn't know ... yr 1/2 parents. they were all furious that they didn't know and no body told them ... yet ... on the window NEXT to where they were standing and dropping off ( and would have collected! ) their children was a big A3 poster advertising bake off & non-uniform day! we got a poster about bake off before half term, and the information has been on the weekly newsletter that comes home on a THURSDAY since before half term as well !!! the children have all been talking about it ALL week in school!

i feel so sorry for those children, but they are the same children who always miss out. :(

i used to have a mum who would read everything, but as she rarely did the school run, used to lose track of days/events etc. so i used to text her the day before or in the morning ( depending on event! ) to remind her, as even if she had picked up from me and i told her, she would have forgotten by the time she got home!

sarah sunflower
15-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I have parents like that too, they may read the letter but its in one ear and out the other!
I too text some parents to remind them of what is happening the next day etc but sometimes its still lost on them.

Last week for world book day neither me nor the parent knew that it was fancy dress at pre school and I only realised at 8.30 when partner told me that there friend (their child goes to pre school!) on fb had pic of child dressed up, cue me grabbing the dressing up box and dressing up the child so they wouldn't feel left out! Parents appreciated it though! The things we do for our Mindees!

rickysmiths
15-03-2013, 01:46 PM
I would have left the mum and let her go to school personally.

I have written into my contracts that the parent has to notify me of all term dates, inset days and confirm the time of collection on the last day of term.

Most parents I have had have been OK even though my children are grown up I still try to keep my ears to the ground so I know what is going on and can give parents a reminder.

I have provided costumes, materials for projects and homework for parents who have forgotten but I only do it once.

I have no sympathy at all. I have worked full time all through my children's school years and I have never forgotten a Book Day, a Red Nose Day, a Jeans for Genes day, homework, books so why should the parents of the children I care for? It is sloppy and selfish and they need to stop and pay a little attention to their children and keep a diary that they look at.

ivy
15-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I check all my mindees bags when they arrive back to from play group and school to see if there are any letters from schools as i know half of the parents don't look or forget .
Most of the time i tell them what is going on in their schools and keep a record of it .