PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead

Kirsty90
15-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Hello,

I'm due to go on maternity leave in a couple of weeks time but already starting to think ahead for when I come back to work. At the moment I have a variation 2 days a week for 4 under 5 if parents shifts falls on these days (due to a change of hours etc) and all of the families I currently have are wanting to come back when I return to work. I know things may change in the mean time but if all families do return it means sometimes I could have 5 under 5! (A 17m old, 18m old, 2x 2 year olds & my own baby 4m) does anyone do this or nearer the time when I know what all the families are definitely doing am I better off letting one of the families go?

Thanks x

sarah707
15-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm... tricky one... current Ofsted variations are only valid while they are being used so my experience tells me that when you terminate care to go on maternity leave the variation will also terminate.

This means that when you come back to work after your leave you will be, in effect, starting your variations again.

Now you know you can do what you are doing at the moment for continuity of care - that's not a problem - a fresh set of RAs and other documentation will cover the practicalities.

This document will help -

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

However, you are then looking for another variation to cover your baby.

You can do this - the EYFS does offer flexibility to allow it in exceptional circumstances for continuity of care.

BUT there's a but and it's a big one... I am hearing stories of childminders getting pulled up for having 5 little ones - often as the result of complaints from jealous childminders or concerned parents asking Ofsted if it should happen / questioning of the cm can cope.

You must be sure that you can confidently explain your reasoning to Ofsted if challenged and manage the extra children and that parents are all happy and reassured and that you have the resources, equipment, space etc.

You will also need watertight documentation, very strong risk assessments etc in case of query or for handling possible complaints. There is a lot of confusion - even inspectors are getting it wrong.

And remember if it's a safeguarding visit the first step is normally to shut you down while an investigation is carried out - which can initially take up to 6 weeks and then be extended.

So I would strongly advise a big dollop of caution and absolutely robust paperwork and contingency planning etc if you do decide to do it.

I hope it all goes well with the baby!! :clapping: Don't forget we will want to see a photo :D

Kirsty90
16-03-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm not actually terminating contracts with any of the current parents & only 1 of them has a temporary contract set up with another childminder as all of them really want to return. Will I still be able to care for them all under continuity of care or not?

Thanks x