PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping children

SDC34cr
14-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Just wondered where your mindees sleep. Do they sleep in cots, on mats, on sofa or in buggies.

I have one that likes to sleep in her travel cot, 2 that sleep in pushchairs and a couple that will nap on the sofa.

Wondered if anyone had any views on best practice for sleeping children and what Ofsted views are.

amanda1309
14-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Mine are all like yours a combination of sofa, pushchair and travel cot.
I let them decide where they go once they get older but they all slept in pushchairs till they were old enough to stay on sofa without falling onto the floor

Daftbat
14-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I prefer to use travel cots but have one who settles better in a push chair at the moment. As far as sofas go Ofsted definitely don't approve so I would try to use other options - perhaps a quiet area on the floor with cushions where a child could choose to doze off - no fear of falls to the floor.

mushpea
14-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Pushchair in the garden or older children on the sofa with cushions below incase they roll, after having had a child have a seizure in ny care I like them all where I can see them

Stapleton83
14-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Whilst Ofsted don't approve of sofas one of my friends was told so long as she had a signed permission from the parents that was ok.

Hope that helps.

Sam x

mazza58
14-03-2013, 10:38 PM
A 2year old sleeps on the sofa and a 7month old baby sleeps in the pushchair

SJ35
14-03-2013, 11:15 PM
My little one was put on the sofa for his nap during my inspection this week. Mrs O just asked me to talk her through how I made him safe and she was fine about it.
X

kellib
14-03-2013, 11:20 PM
I had 3 under 3 all asleep at same time today, one in travel cot, one in buggy and one on sofa! It was fab lol!

nikkiv
14-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I had 3 under 3 all asleep at same time today, one in travel cot, one in buggy and one on sofa! It was fab lol!

I know that feeling it was bliss nice cuppa :) two in travel cots and one in the beanbag

mr man
15-03-2013, 05:19 AM
I use a combination too, depending on age. Cot mattress on floor works too, stand up behind couch when not used.

clareelizabeth1
15-03-2013, 07:44 AM
I have a proper cot in my bedroom for little ones, have also used a pop up travel cot, and sofa. I never included sofa's when I had my inspection on where children would sleep and then the OFSTED inspector pointed it out as a good place to put the children to sleep.

sandy64
15-03-2013, 07:49 AM
hi my 2 lo sleep in lie back prams there safe and cant get out to play lol does anyone no if we need to get permission of parents for lo to sleep in prams? I no ive never been asked from Ofsted before and parents are happy but things change:)

bunyip
15-03-2013, 07:56 AM
My Ofsted inspector had no problem with my lo sleeping on the sofa, especially when I pointed at that she had never once settled in a cot.

I have one that sleeps in a kneeling position on the floor with her head on the settee.

TBH I'll start worrying about it when the medical professional can tell us a categorically 'safe' way to sleep and go ten minutes without changing its mind or disagreeing with itself. :mad:

*daisychain*
15-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Combination of everything, outside in prams, sofa , travel cots, beanbags . I put a LO upstairs for the first time yesterday , I've always likes them where I could see them but she slept so well and I work with hubby so no probs checking upstairs every ten mins, on Monday and Tuesdays we normally have five sleeping at the same time ;) bliss x

jackie 7
15-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I have 3 travel cots and 2 flat beds I was given by a nursery(so wish I could have carried another) and all sleep well. I like them to sleep flat but I don't have school runs so don't have to get them out of bed early.

smurfette
15-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I can have four here sleeping together usually Have two in buggies one in a cot and depending on which little one it is a second cot or on the couch. She doesn't move when sleeping and I Sit with her

samb
15-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I also use travel cots as my preference and then I have a cot size mattress I put on floor for older ones who still need a nap but are too heavy for the travel cot (haven't got any like that at the mo).I have a 22 month old who manages to swing himself out of the travel cot so I am starting to use a buggy for him so he is strapped in.

hollyvilla
15-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I use travel cots, buggies, sofas or blankets on the floor depending on size and age of child. Some want to be in the quiet, while others prefer to be where you are.

Tinkerbell1979
15-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Travel cots

Little Puddings
15-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I have two travel cots but for older ones I use sheepskins (I've got 3 as at one point I had two sets of siblings so had 3 on sheepskins and youngest in travel cot). Only use pushchair if they have already fallen asleep while out and about.

fluff1975
19-03-2013, 02:42 PM
My two are sleeping at the mo. One in the push chair and the other in a car seat!! I'd brought it in and stuck it in the living room out of the way. Whilst putting 2yo into the buggy, the 18mo climbed into the car seat and must have nodded straight off! He'd even helpfully put his arms through the straps, so I've left him in there, just strapped him in and reclined it :)

smurfette
19-03-2013, 02:45 PM
My two are sleeping at the mo. One in the push chair and the other in a car seat!! I'd brought it in and stuck it in the living room out of the way. Whilst putting 2yo into the buggy, the 18mo climbed into the car seat and must have nodded straight off! He'd even helpfully put his arms through the straps, so I've left him in there, just strapped him in and reclined it :)

Cuteness!!

emma04
19-03-2013, 02:48 PM
My little one was put on the sofa for his nap during my inspection this week. Mrs O just asked me to talk her through how I made him safe and she was fine about it.
X

Makes me laugh how they ask you about how you keep them safe!!!

Do they think you're going to say that you lay him on a plastic cushion, underneath a plastic bag, next to hot tea....Oh, and not forgetting.....3ft above a concrete floor covered in drawing pins!!

Sorry, but Mrs O does my head in with her 'telling your granny to suck eggs' technique!!:blush: