PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Childminder

AJ15
14-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi all, My name is Angela. I am looking into becoming a childminder but i have absolutley no idea where to start!! I have had a look online but the information seems boggling!!! I am in Scotland and I have and HNC in Childcare and Education and BA in Early Childhood Studies. Any advice on where to start?

Thanks in advance

Angela

sprinkles
14-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Hello! I'm in Scotland too!! Your best bet is to contact SCSWIS and they will send you out all the information.

It does seem really boggling at first but you get your head around it...eventually!! I've been in the registration process for a year now and still getting my head round paperwork.

The process is different to England though and generally takes around 6 months from submitting your application to being registered.

Good luck! If you need any help just give me a shout :)

lynncjt
15-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi, I'm in Scotland to (Aberdeenshire) and registered last year. I searched the Aberdeenshire Council web site for 'Childminder' and contacted them for more information. I don't know where you are but round here they are crying out for childminders and there are startup grants available as well.

I learnt lots by reading through this forum before I applied. Feel free to contact me if you want more information.

AJ15
19-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Oh my goodness I can't believe it takes that long! I am in the process of getting the house sorted, and I was going to write up some policies etc first before applying to register, is this the wrong way to go about it? Should I apply now despite the state of the house? I didn't even think of contacting the council, thanks i will do that tomorrow. (Ps I'm in Argyll)

Angela

lynncjt
20-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Oh my goodness I can't believe it takes that long! I am in the process of getting the house sorted, and I was going to write up some policies etc first before applying to register, is this the wrong way to go about it? Should I apply now despite the state of the house? I didn't even think of contacting the council, thanks i will do that tomorrow. (Ps I'm in Argyll)

Angela

You need to apply and get the ball rolling ASAP, you can be sorting the house and doing polices while going through the registration process.

I see your council says you should apply to the Care Inspectorate, all the councils seem to work in slightly different ways. How to become a Childminder | Argyll and Bute Council (http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/how-become-childminder)

AJ15
20-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you, I called the council this morning who put me in touch with the care inspectorate so they will be posting everything out. Also called SCMA who are sending me information. Very exciting!

Thanks again everyone finally feel like I have a starting point!