PDA

View Full Version : Male Childminder & Mental Health

WattonDad
14-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi. I am a 32 year old dad considering going in to childminding. I have four children, 3 at school and one who is 2. I look after the kids full time at present and currently living on benefits. My wife suffers from mental illness and currently is out of the family home on respite, when she is at home I am her carer.

I am thinking along the lines of 'I am at home with my youngest, so why not make a living out of it' but I do not know the first steps. I have been browsing this forum all afternoon, reading and making notes and realised that there is so much to do and think about from payments, safety, courses, registration down to toys and stimulation/education.

My wife has severe mental illness issues and wondered if this would affect my chances of being accepted by Ofsted. I recently had a CRB check to volunteer with a youth group and passed that without any issues.

So what is my first move? and will my wives condition affect my chances?

I am already friendly with a few local childminders who know parents looking for a childminder. Would I need to disclose my wifes illness to potential parents?

I have read on the forums that male childminders gets a rougher ride, is this true?

Thank you and look forward to your replies.

shortstuff
14-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi and welcome.

The best advice I can give you is to phone Ofsted and explain your circumstances to them as they are the people who make the decisions as to who is suitable.

I'm not sure if male childminders do get a rougher ride but I would definitely consider hiring a male assistant if that helps? Why dont you see if any of your childminder friends would let you work along side them as an assistant to see if you like it?

lizduncan72
14-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Hello and welcome :) definitely best thing to do is phone Ofsted and ask them. Good luck

rachelmama
14-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :D. Good luck

starlight1
14-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I think you need to look very carefully at this one and the risk to the children would need to be assessed ( sorry as not aware what your wife's MH condition is it is very broad)

What level of care does she need? My Ex had MH probs and he really struggled with my son's needs having to come before his. I also had to take him to psychiatrist appointments...His CPN would visit the home and I spent a lot of time walking on eggshells..This environment was not fit for my own son never mind anyone else's children... I am not stating this is your situation just a perspective.

Can you leave your wife unsupervised while the children have there outdoor time, school runs,

These question need to be asked of her poorly times more than her well times?

Good luck

WattonDad
14-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi.

Thank you all for your replies. My wife can be left, except when she is having severe down times, but in general that is not a problem.

I did wonder if this would be a stumbling block for me. I must point out that she is in no way a danger to anyone, be that adults, our children or other peoples children, however Ofsted may not be willing to take that chance.

I shall give them a call tomorrow - line is closed now. Easier to explain over the phone.

shortstuff
15-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Dont forget to let us know how you get on :-)

hectors house
15-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry I can't suggest anything other than phone Ofsted - I did know a childminder who was also a carer for her husband who had MS, but she had to give up as he got worse as he needed so many hospital visits she was forever having to cancel the children coming. Sorry to hear your wife is so poorly - depression is a terrible thing, I have been on medication in the past.

As you rightly say from doing all your research you can see that childminding now is very complicated and quite stressful, involving lots of courses and paperwork unless you just do after school kids then you don't have to follow the EYFS - but would your wife be able to cope with having extra school age children in her home when she is out of respite, on a daily basis?

If your wife is ok to be left for short periods of time, could you maybe consider something like dog walking and take your little one with you - you can charge about £10 an hour - you have to have 3 children to get that kind of money per hour and then lose half of that in expenses?