PDA

View Full Version : Stutter

handeme
14-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I have a little boy who has started to talk with a bit of a stammer at the start of his sentences, its not a constant but seems to becoming more frequent.

My thinking is that it us just him rushing to get his words out, so have been asking him to slow down and are giving him plenty of time to speak.

I have spoke to mum and dad who are concerned and told them this but I wondering at what point should it be flagged up as a concern. Do you think it would be beneficial if I spoke to SENCO for advice? What would you all do?

phoenix2010
14-03-2013, 01:36 PM
How old is he ?

I have a 3 yr old mindee that does this , Im not concerned, his language skills are just faster than his brain can get the words out if you know what i mean

my 6 year old son also stutters occasionally , when hes excited trying to tell me something thats happened

christine e
14-03-2013, 01:38 PM
He will probably grow out of it

Stammering - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stammering/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

but there is no harm in parent having a chat with health visitor about this

mrstom
14-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Could he be tired?

A fellow minder I know has a little boy (aged 3 or 4 I think) who stammers when he's tired. A short power nap and he's right as rain again!

handeme
14-03-2013, 01:48 PM
That's my thought too, he is coming up to 3. I did explain to dad that he is learning things so rapidly and is eager to communicate them to you it comes out as y y y y your, for example.

At what point would you think it wasn't that though?

christine e
14-03-2013, 01:52 PM
That's my thought too, he is coming up to 3. I did explain to dad that he is learning things so rapidly and is eager to communicate them to you it comes out as y y y y your, for example.

At what point would you think it wasn't that though?

A child I know has stuttered for quite a few months now and it has now almost stopped - no harm in mentioning to health visitor who is more experienced