PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - toileting

Cookie Monster
14-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I have a little girl who was 3 in early feb, she is still in nappies and is totally reluctant to start using toilet or potty. Apparently she has used one at Grannies but not at own home. On and off over last six months I've tried to encourage having a sit on it and always praise her for having a 'try' but never any result as yet. She is term time only so each time she is off for the holidays I hope that parents will just do the whole full on training 'no more nappies now that's it' as otherwise I'm just not sure how its ever going to happen. The little girl is bright but isn't
confident with self care like putting own shoes on/off, coat etc, and when I ask her to get ready for nappy change by pulling own tights/ trousers down she just says no or wont speak, I've suggested Mum maybe ask health visitor for some strategies to try as I've not experienced such resistance before. Anyone had similar experience and have any advice??

Thanks for reading x

teacake2
14-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I have had 3 cases like this, I just don't rush them, if there is no physical/developmental reason why they can't/won't then I have found by experience that if you try and make them do something they will get more and more stubborn. With all 3 of mine I just said one day right I think we will wear pants to-day and see what happens, because I didn't make a fuss and just cleaned up the accidents that happened, within a few days they were using potty/toilet what ever they preferred.
All of them were about 3.5 - 4.00.
Teacake2

nikkiv
14-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Maybe if we get a summer perfect opportunity garden, knickers and t shirt with a potty out there! That's what we did with my son he was 3.5 didn't push him let him do it in his own time mastered it a week in the garden I could count on one hand how many accidents he had!

phoenix2010
14-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I have a mindee , she was 3 in september and was still in nappies at feb half term , not indicating wanting to go on potty or toilet , or even telling me when she was weeing or pooing

hated having nappy changed , would have to bribe , coerce and jump through all kinds of hoops to get her to cooperate

her mum didint seem bothered and wasnt making any steps towards doing anything about it

Grandma had her feb half term and just took her out of nappies and said "thats it , your in knickers now " and that was that , shes been brilliant , the odd accident , but thats to be expected

I think some children dont indicate they are ready and just need a grown up to make the decision and the commitment to do it. Well done Granny :)

but i think once they are 3 years old and assuming there are no other problems , you just have to commit to doing it , when it gets confusing is when the grownups are not committed and the child is in and out of nappies

Of course theres nothing wrong with giving it a good go and if they are having 3,4,5 accidents a day then admitting maybe they are not ready and giving them another month or so before trying again