PDA

View Full Version : won't touch anything

mushpea
14-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I look after a 13 month old, when she first came she would hold crayons, paint brushes etc and would feed herself finger foods but the last month or so she won't do anything herself, we've just had snack and I Fed it to her , now we are painting and each time I pass her the brush she pulls her hand away, she plays with toys just fine so I'm wondering if its a sensory issue or if its because mum will feed her at home, if I don't feed her she won't eat all day cause I've tried that,
How can I encourage her to hold stuff or feed herself again

jackie 7
14-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Give her time. I had a boy I nannied for who hated paint and getting dirty. Several years later he did Jackson pollock style painting. In underpants and painting drippy style on a long roll of paper. He loved it in the end. Just get the others to have lots of fun and leave a chair ready for her but don't get her to sit just wait did her to come to you.

sarah707
14-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Jackie's advice is good regarding activities - they will usually come round given time to watch and see what is happening.

If they don't like anything messy why not let them paint on top of cling film so they keep clean..?

I can understand why you are worried about the eating and lack of independence skills. You need to work with parents so there is some consistency going on.

A lot of children love being hand fed because it means they are getting one-to-one dedicated attention... but you can't always do that in a busy provision and parents need to be on-side encouraging her at home.

xx

mushpea
14-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I spoke to mum who says child feeds herself at hone with finger foods and with help is starting to use a spoon so why not at mine ! Today I gave her her sandwich about 15 mins before the other fella who was busy using the toilet and washing his hands and she just stared at it not attempting to touch it, I then ate mine and she still didn't attempt to eat it so I fed her as we were going out but if its stubbornness how ling do I leave it before I give in and feed her
I wonder weather to not help her at snack then give her about 20mins at lunch and see whether she will then eat

sarah707
15-03-2013, 07:01 AM
What would happen if you put food in her hand when she is sitting in the buggy - so the pressure of being watched is off her?

I'd be setting up a home visit at a meal time too. You need to see how she reacts to food at home. If she is independent you will see it and she will know you know if that makes sense.

Hth :D

JumpingJacks
15-03-2013, 08:04 AM
One of my little ones was like this, it will come with time. Everything she didn't like to touch ie childrens forks and spoons, paintbrushes, crayons etc I used to put in a big tub and pop it on the floor woth the normal toys so that she got used to playing with/handling it first before attempting to use it for it's specific purpose. It took about 3 months Perserverence, lots of praise and a little persuasion is the key :)

She now engages in everything we do including messy play and eats beautifully :)