PDA

View Full Version : Gardens

greanan
13-03-2013, 11:37 PM
I know it's prob been asked a thousand times but I'm looking for so e garden ideas. My 2 and 3 year old mindees seem to be bored with the toys out there. I have bikes/ride ons, slides, playhouse, toy kitchen, sandpit, diggers, tunnels and various boxes filled with bits and bibs like cars, dolls, balls, bubbles etc.

Is there anything else I can add to make it more exciting for them??

vals
14-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I know it's prob been asked a thousand times but I'm looking for so e garden ideas. My 2 and 3 year old mindees seem to be bored with the toys out there. I have bikes/ride ons, slides, playhouse, toy kitchen, sandpit, diggers, tunnels and various boxes filled with bits and bibs like cars, dolls, balls, bubbles etc.

Is there anything else I can add to make it more exciting for them??

Sounds like you have more than enough resources.Have you tried putting some of them away, so that when they come back out they appreciate them more.
I am going to fix some drain guttering onto the side of the fence, in a zig zag, so the children can tip water down it, or roll balls down.
Depending on your neighbours, you could make an outside musical frame.This could be a project that the children help with, make something that you can hang instruments from. They Can be home made instruments like a bottle filled with something, then a plastic saucepan and spoon that they can hit, some nice bells. I am not very good at doing these things, but can picture the idea in my head hehe.

sarah707
14-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Our little ones are really into sensory play at the moment so we put something different in our messy tray every day.

This week so far we have had silly soap, seeds and compost with some plant pots, water and ducks and cooked pasta... great fun!

Even the older ones love it when they get back from school :D

angeldelight
14-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Sounds like you have more than enough resources.Have you tried putting some of them away, so that when they come back out they appreciate them more.
I am going to fix some drain guttering onto the side of the fence, in a zig zag, so the children can tip water down it, or roll balls down.
Depending on your neighbours, you could make an outside musical frame.This could be a project that the children help with, make something that you can hang instruments from. They Can be home made instruments like a bottle filled with something, then a plastic saucepan and spoon that they can hit, some nice bells. I am not very good at doing these things, but can picture the idea in my head hehe.

I agree sounds like you have lots of resources

Some children can be bored no matter how much you have ....sometimes it's what you do with the resources that's the key ... Have you encouraged them to race around the garden using bikes ..sliding down the slides twice .... Hopping through the sandpit ....jumping in a box,back out again onto the bikes ....they will soon start to invent their own games with some encouragement from you .

Love your ideas Val

Angel xx

JumpingJacks
14-03-2013, 09:55 AM
We have lots of garden toys but the ones the children seem to enjoy more are a big home made den, messy play trays and a pile of cardboard boxes combined with paint and paintbrushes...it's always the toys that let them use the imaginative skills or creative skills that seem to be favourite here

greanan
14-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I'd love to put up guttering, music walls, chalk boards etc on walls but have a hedge the whole way round the garden instead of a fance. I think you could be right about putting some of the toys away, most are all stored in and around the playhouse so may need to invest in a shed maybe?

vals
14-03-2013, 06:25 PM
On a course I was on they had made free standing water pouring things, it was a 3 sided frame of wood, and had bottles cut to shape fitted on for pouring etc.
Same with the music thing, if you could get a frame or something to make it free standing - like a clothing rack - legs and a pole across.
Also, check incase there is any funding around - some minders round here got funding last year to improve outdoor play. I have no idea where people find out about funding, maybe its for those offerring the free hours.