PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get a feeling you'lll regret taking someone on before they even start?

MrsP2C
13-03-2013, 11:17 PM
It sounds awful but I've got a new schoolie starting next week & I've already got doubts about whether I'm doing the right thing taking him on. It's partly the long hours (he will arrive half hour before my other mindees & go an hour later) plus in the 2 months since I agreed to take him on I've got busier so don't actually *need* (financially) this extra work & then yesterday a mum friend who helps out at school commented 'wow you're brave he's a handful'. I rule schoolies (4 boys!) with a fairly firm hand so hopeful he'll respond to this & fit in but it didn't help align my misgivings!!!

Anyone else felt like this before a new schoolie start & how did it turn out?

FussyElmo
14-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Ignore what the mum said children that are "handful" at school can be great when they get into a more relaxed atmosphere. Also one persons handful is another persons spirited. I also think its really bad that she has commented on the child in this way.

If you think this child early starts and late finishs will impact on you then stop the contract now. I dont ever take contracts on, which regardless of how I need the work, if it will seriously impact on my family time as I know I will end up resenting the child.

Or use your settling in period wisely :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Yes I have and it all worked put beautifully, still have him two years later and he's such good company.

MessybutHappy
14-03-2013, 07:20 AM
All the time! That's why we have settling periods! Try to keep an open mind, it may be better than you imagine!

sarah707
14-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I have such a lovely bunch of before and after schoolies at the moment I dread having to bring someone new into the mix. They all get on so well together and play their little games and love our planning and everything...

I know how you feel - but give it a settling in month and see how you get on.

Hugs xx

*daisychain*
14-03-2013, 08:43 AM
If I would have listened to what others had said then I wouldn't have had one of my after schoolie s who is lovely, he does struggle at school but here he loves it and is fantastic , it's great that he can come here after a bad day at school and go home from here happy. I have a boy starting next week too who has problems socially and is struggling at the big after school club , fingers crossed he settles well here too, good luck with yours :)

maryp0ppins
14-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I had a schoolie start couple of years ago & other people said good luck, u must be mad, & oh have you heard!! All I can say is start as you mean to go on. I laid some ground rules & his mum backed me up & said T stands no rubbish & he has been nothing but polite & one of dare I say it easiest income out the lot. It's his last day Friday as he is now trusted with a key getting ready for upper school after summer. His mum has praised me for my no nonsense approach (to be fair only had a couple of issues in the whole times he's been here)

angeldelight
14-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I think it always depends on the child whatever their age

He might not be a handful for you .... Remember your the one that copes with toddlers ...so it will be nothing to you

You will be fine and hopefully so will he

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

lubeam
14-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Sorry to high jack the thread just wondering , do you charge for settling in sessions ?! By that I mean when they come with mum for a bit then she leaves for half an hour to test the water ?! I don't think I will but dh said I should :/ confused
Sorry to high jack :(

AliceK
14-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I've only had this gut feeling once, child was 5, my instincts turned out to be correct and I ended up giving notice. I will never ignore my gut feeling again :panic:

xxxx

Koala
14-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Go with your gut feeling - more so because the hours are a problem the last hour of the day can be the worst and seem like 10. :panic:

I wouldn't listen to others comments about him being a handful, a lot of my children are handfuls for others, but are angels for me because I have constant boundaries and behavioral expectations. Sometimes children being a handful can be because their adult arn't up to it! :p

MrsP2C
14-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry to high jack the thread just wondering , do you charge for settling in sessions ?! By that I mean when they come with mum for a bit then she leaves for half an hour to test the water ?! I don't think I will but dh said I should :/ confused
Sorry to high jack :(

For this child I meant notice period rather than settling in as he's older but for little ones I offer 1 x 1 hr and 1 x 2 hrs free but do take a £50 deposit beforehand.

Thank all - I'm not bothered about playground gossip & as u say hopefully even if he is a handful will respond to my firm boundaries. It's all happening quite quickly (call yesterday for start in Monday) which might be why I'm panicking unnecessarily!

chezzagriff
14-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Good luck with it all. Lubeam I also have 1 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hour which are free sessions :thumbsup:

lubeam
14-03-2013, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE="MrsP2C;1224716"]

For this child I meant notice period rather than settling in as he's older but for little ones I offer 1 x 1 hr and 1 x 2 hrs free but do take a £50 deposit beforehand.

Thanks a lot for that :) helps having ppl in the no to ask :)

FussyElmo
14-03-2013, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE="MrsP2C;1224716"]

Thanks a lot for that :) helps having ppl in the no to ask :)

I always include a settling period regardless of how old they are - which gives both sides in the first 4 weeks the right to terminate without notice. Then if I get a mindee who upsets the dynamics of the house or is a tearaway I have a get out clause :thumbsup:

lubeam
14-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks fussy :) do you still charge for that month ?! x

FussyElmo
14-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks fussy :) do you still charge for that month ?! x

Yes fees payable in advance :-) whether it be weekly or monthly :-D

lubeam
14-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks fussy your a star :) x