PDA

View Full Version : Twins - at my wits end!

Becci26
13-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Gosh I am feeling a bit at my wits end at the moment!

I look after boy/girl 10yo twins, who at the moment seem to do nothing other than argue and physically fight with each other. I have given the boy a real ticking off this week for one reason or another but just feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall as nothing is changing.

They don't particularly want to get involved in playing games/ do arts and crafts and would rather either a) play made up games (always ends badly) or b) watch tv - which I don't want on every day.

Their fine if we are at the park but the weather doesn't always allow that.

I am sick of hearing my own voice (and quite frankly their whiney 'beecccciiiii' tell tale voices)!

Think I am going to sit down with them over the next couple of days to get them to a) realise their behaviour is unacceptable and b) come up with some ideas of things they'd like to do.

If it wasn't for the fact they are leaving at the end of the summer term I would be thinking about giving them notice... :(

blue bear
13-03-2013, 06:06 PM
You have my sympathy I have a 10 and 9 year old siblings and they need very firm handling.

Joda
13-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Oh dear, they sound like hard work (my twins are 11 so I know exactly what it's like!).
I've got no real words of wisdom, however, my 2 used to moan about being told off all the time, plus they hated being told what to do! We came up with a strategy that I would give them a 'mission' - the mission would be something like; to play nicely and not argue with one another for 1 hour, to complete a piece of work, build a Lego model etc etc. They were then praised when the ' mission' was completed and responded well to this.
It is difficult at this age as they are being given more responsibility etc at school so don't want to be treated as a young child either.

Good luck!

Nicola Carlyle
13-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I think its always hard with siblings. I used to fight with my brother something awful back in the day. But we have a great relationship. I have two brothers that I look after and while they are lovely they do have their moments. I do speak to them and tell them that any harmful physical contact while in my care is totally unacceptable. It's not just themselves they are hurting either. The younger children look at what they are doing and they think its ok for them to do it to. So I have a zero tolerance. I think its a good idea to sit them down and have a chat about it. You will find a way to get through to them I'm sure. x

jillplum
13-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Its a hard age too. There is such a lot of changes happening. Both physical and mental and the moves from primary to secondary. They do a lot of growing at this age. They are old enough to sit down with you and work out how to solve the provlems you are having. Talk to them like young adults and see if they respond. Worked sith my twins at this age.