PDA

View Full Version : a new perspective re previous post-decision made, well i think so anyway

mushpea
13-03-2013, 02:36 PM
well i spoke to my development officer today who said that regards to the 5yrold telling the younger children what to do when playing she said there are alpha children and followers, the alpha children will lead the play and the followers will do what they say, she said that as long as the children are happy to follow or do as she is telling them then its fine, she asked me if the children were happy and they are and each time I say to the younger ones are you happt do that or go there or do you like that game the answer is yes from the little ones and they are happy to play along, they are 3yrs and 4yrs and quite capable communication wise of saying they dont want to do somthing and the 4yrold is now learning to tell me when he dosent like somthing. she also said that they will learn from the experiance of having an older 'alpha' child playing with them, they will learn to have their say and they will learn they dont have to play her game.
I am not sure about this, it has given me a different perspective on this issue and I do reguarly check they are happy and they say they are, I even asked them today and monday if they still like playing with the children and both littlys have happily said yes.
so now I dont know wether to call a meeting with mum and talk to her about the rudness and cheekiness and also the sneaky way in which they get the children to play with them and prehaps see if things improve and go from there or to still call it a day, i have worked hard to help the older one feel safe and fit in and to help him with his behaviour and I have seen an improvment with him since he's been here and I know there is a lovley child in there so I would really like to keep working with him and his sister but not sure, arrgh why cant life be black and white.

sarah707
13-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Yes some children are leaders and others are followers - but that doesn't make them any easier for you to handle does it?

Hugs xx

MessybutHappy
13-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Could you give yourself some time, say another month, to see if you feel any differently now you understand the dynamic a bit differently? Perhaps you will change how you interact with them, maybe without knowing it, and things will improve??

mushpea
13-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I have spoken to mum tonight after another difficult night filled with some serious bad attitude and it seems the 5yr old is the same at home at the moment, mum came down on them quite hard and banned consoles for 2 days (thats a lot for them as they have them constant at home) so at least she on board but I have told them that I won't be doing any nice activitys with them until they can prove they can be polite again so we will see
On a happier note 5yr old played realy nicely with littly tonight and he actually had to be carried out my house crying because he wanted to stay and play with 5yr old ! So perhaps it isn't affecting them or upsetting them as I thought it was.
Decided to try again for another month and see what happens,