PDA

View Full Version : No car Useing public transport

Kevin1964
13-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I can drive But for the past 7 years I not had A car I have hired one a few times for trips hand holidays. We live in the centre of Norwich so relly no need. What do you all think about picking up and dropping off Children useing the Bus .

SammySplodger
13-03-2013, 11:25 AM
I did this for 3 years and it was ok. You just have to build lots of extra time into your day, RA it and make sure you carry plenty of drinks, snacks etc. Occasionally I got caught out with buses being very late (that's where the drinks & snacks come in!).

You also need to be fairly resilient to other passengers (comments and general lack of help) and drivers who are unhelpful / rude. Don't assume they will wait for you to sit down before hitting the accelerator! I used to ask them to wait for me. But I think it depends on your area / bus company. Mine isn't great with staff training / customer care.

On whole, the Mindees loved it, as they never got to travel by bus otherwise.

I have since moved house, so the bus no longer necessary for school run etc. But we use it occasionally for shopping trips.

Hop that helps.

Carol
13-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I can drive but my husband uses our car to get to work, so I am always using public transport. As said above risk assess and allow plenty of time. But all the children love using the bus as a lot dont get the opportunity to go on any!

Carol

SammySplodger
13-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh and be extra vigalent about toilet trips before travelling and carry a potette or similar (have helped a child use a potette on a moving bus once!). Nothing worse than someone saying 'I need a wee / poo' just as the bus arrives!!!

Where I live it is much cheaper to buy tickets online before travel - I always have a stack in my bag, and better logistically when getting on the bus too.

Velleity
13-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I've managed without a car for the last two years ^_^
I just find that everything takes much longer on public transport. I always end up arriving at places super early as I can't risk being late and not knowing when the buses are going to turn up heh

Daisy1956
13-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I have used public transport for years, agree with everything already said. I also find it gives you lots of time to chat with children, talk about what they can see, they can see much more from the bus because they are higher up.

SammySplodger
13-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Re: being super-early:

I used to set off on school run at 7.45 every morning, as the next bus would be cutting it fine. The only place open with space and decent toilets at that time was Nero. So every morning we would eat breakfast on the bus (brioche, toast, bagels etc) and then I would order a coffee and several (free!) babycchinos at Nero every morning.

The kids absolutely loved it and the staff thought it was hilarious (used to guess how many babycchinos to make and sometimes had them ready by the time I'd got everyone sat down). So: nice comfy place to kill some time, fill up on caffeine and have a wee before school.

When I finally managed to move house (then bus trip no longer necessary) we made a 'bye bye and thanks for all the babycchinos' card for the staff. They still have it up behind the till :-)

jillplum
14-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Sammy that is so cute. I can just picture it :D

jackie 7
14-03-2013, 11:59 AM
That is wonderful. I hope you took a photo for your display.