PDA

View Full Version : Cerebal palsy

Carls
12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I have become very involved with a lovely family, caring for their lovely baby girl and supporting mum through her pregnancy! She has had the baby last Friday and the baby is very very poorly and in intensive care! Today baby has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy :-( has anyone ever had any experience with this illness? Cared for a child/baby with cerebral palsy? I'm feeling do sorry for them and want to offer my support and help xxx

Rick
12-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I have become very involved with a lovely family, caring for their lovely baby girl and supporting mum through her pregnancy! She has had the baby last Friday and the baby is very very poorly and in intensive care! Today baby has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy :-( has anyone ever had any experience with this illness? Cared for a child/baby with cerebral palsy? I'm feeling do sorry for them and want to offer my support and help xxx

My parents used to provide respite for many children including a cerebal palsy girl. She was very intelligent and it was just the physical side that she needed help with. She once had to have both legs in plaster with a broomstick attached to both plastered legs as she had one leg longer than the other and I guess they were trying to correct it. There are many levels of disability, many of which you will not discover until later on in her life. You just have to be there for her.
My brother has downs syndrome and it is very severe so I know all about having someone disabled in the family along with the respite children.

lubeam
12-03-2013, 09:29 PM
what a difficult situation for you no advice sorry :group hug:

@rick - how nice of your parents , my friend has a little one with downs and we have her so they get to spend time with there older DD to do 'grown up things' as they call it :)

scottishlass
12-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Hi sorry to hear that the baby is poorly - my mums friends daughter has cerebral palsy and we grew up together. She was one of twins (born too early) but sadly her twin died and she was diagnosed with cp. when she was a baby/toddler her mum was told she would never walk/talk etc - I remember as a child she wore the splints on her legs and she has one hand which she has difficulty using but she can talk fine and has been able to walk from about the age of 2 (has slight limp) she receiced regular physio and had lots of appointments as a child and now leads a fairly average life as an adult. I know there can be so many levels of cp bit hope the little one will be ok xx

Cassie
13-03-2013, 05:34 AM
When I first started minding I cared for a little boy with CP. It had taken me quite a while to make a decision about caring for him.....would I be able to spend enough quality time with him,did I understand his development needs. What it came down to was I was scared and had no understanding about CP. His disability was down one side of his body, i adapted activities as we went along, the other children learnt how to help him without taking away his independence. His physio came to my home and I was shown how to build his exercise into our day these routines are still useful now with babies when they are crawling/ walking.
He is now 8...an amazing intelligent little boy. Attending mainstream school and still comes after school 2 days a week. I feel he has helped me in lots of ways too and wouldn't hesitate to take a child with CP on again. :thumbsup:

RuthJ
13-03-2013, 08:07 AM

No experience, but I'm sure the family are glad to have your support. Must be an awful time for them.

Toothfairy
13-03-2013, 09:05 AM
My granddaughter has CP, she was a prem baby (now 2yrs old).
She has only just learnt to walk which the doctors are really pleased with as they said she may not.
She can't walk far or for long but is able to get around the house. One leg is weaker than the other, as is one of her arms. She tends to hold her weaker arm behind her. Her speech is slightly delayed but is coming on and she is on par with all other development markers apart for physical.
She goes to Physio which has helped a lot and has had special boots made for her.
She starts playgroup soon (doesn't live near me unfortunately) and the staff have been great and have even been on a special course, so they can care for her appropriately and meet her needs (her older sister already goes to the playgroup).

HTH:thumbsup: