PDA

View Full Version : New swimming technique to save little one's lives!

smurfette
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Take a look at this. Little ones are taught how to save themselves from drowning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mUPr68x2U&sns=em

smurfette
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Please pass to anyone you think might benefit from it

nipper
12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Yep used to teach swimming/lifeguarding so seen this before. I would never totally trust a young baby or toddler to be able to do this for real though, especially in freezing cold open water (not the warmth of a swimming pool)...it's no substitute for close adult supervision around water...that's what people have to remember! Thanks for sharing though.
Remember, babies and young children can drown in water deep enough to cover their mouth and nose, that's all it takes. There is also secondary drowning too.

hectors house
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
It is very interesting, my daughter has just had a baby, will pass link on to her but I don't understand though how they teach the child to roll onto backs - and the child in 2nd half of video could swim underwater on his own - how can you teach that to a toddler under 12 months old who can't swim?

nipper
12-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Newborn babies have an inbuilt swim reflex called the bradycardic response which allows them to both hold their breath and also open their eyes under water. They naturally grow out of it by around one year of age. The babies in the video have obviously had a great deal of practise, so that's why I would be viewing the technique with suspicion

muffins
12-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes it look great untill you watch this, actually truely horrific :angry:

ISR Swimming Lessons Week 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZE8Za778k)

How on earth can you do that to a child:(

supermumy
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I've aren't this if it saves life's its amazing
I agree looking back at lesson one it's horrid but following the rest of the lessons and the child learns how to do it and is save at all times

smurfette
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Nipper

What's secondary drowning?

wendywu
12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Nipper

What's secondary drowning?

I think it's when you are out of the water and breathing but your lungs are still filled with water so you die if b not treated :(

kellyskidz!
12-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Saw this on Facebook a few weeks ago, it looks scary but if it saves a life by passing it on or just mentioning it to another parent its worth it. imo

nipper
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Secondary drowning is where any water that has been inhaled can enter the lungs and begin to irritate the lining of the lungs much later after the incident. The victim can be fully conscious but deteriorate rapidly. This is why even if a victim seems alright, they should still be checked out at hospital. Basically the lungs are deprived of their ability to deliver oxygen to the blood, so it occurs over a longer period of time.

It doesn't even have to be much water, just a few droplets...:panic:

chriss
12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
well I just couldn't put a child through such a distresssing experience. There must be a better way.

Ripeberry
12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Secondary drowning is where any water that has been inhaled can enter the lungs and begin to irritate the lining of the lungs much later after the incident. The victim can be fully conscious but deteriorate rapidly. This is why even if a victim seems alright, they should still be checked out at hospital. Basically the lungs are deprived of their ability to deliver oxygen to the blood, so it occurs over a longer period of time.

It doesn't even have to be much water, just a few droplets...:panic:

That's scary. So what if you inhale some water in the swimming pool and then have a nasty cough. Does that need checking out?

RuthJ
12-03-2013, 07:36 PM

ISR Swimming Lessons Week 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZE8Za778k)

This has really upset me :(

scottishlass
12-03-2013, 07:56 PM

Me too - cant understand why they wouldn't let the baby out the pool and try again another day when she might have enjoyed it - was like watching a torture scene! X

lubeam
12-03-2013, 07:58 PM

I've got a year in my eye! I would prefer to just supervise my kids ! :( I couldn't do that to them that child looked heart broken !

lubeam
12-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Tear sorry

scottishlass
12-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I've got a year in my eye! I would prefer to just supervise my kids ! :( I couldn't do that to them that child looked heart broken !

Also done in the right way children can actually enjoy swimming lessons! Crazy! X

starlight1
12-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I did water babies lessons with my son..Which babies are submersed....the babies have songs , games and bounced around inbetween... While babies were submersed it was done repeatedly over and over again and not while a baby was upset before they were...

I have a pic of my son on my wall very calm and relaxed swimming under water at 6 months old..very much like the nivarna cd cover...

My son is now a very competent swimmer and had no fear under the water...

I cannot despite been through this process understand why this is been repeated over and over again..I turned it off after 5 minutes as I found it very unsavory to watch.

nikki thomson
12-03-2013, 09:12 PM
My friends daughter goes to water babies swimming lessons she's nearly 2 now but has been going every week since the age of 8 weeks, she's amazing to watch, so much confidence and the lessons and teacher are brilliant.

chezzagriff
12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Cant bring myself to watch the lesson video as I dont want to see a baby distressed. I have seen the video where they roll onto their backs and I think its amazing but was thinking about what they have to go through to learn. Although at the same time it can save lives I suppose. I remember my Dad used to count down and then dunk me underwater and move away so that I would have to learn how to swim back up and then swim to him. I never remember getting upset but I was about 4 so could understand what was going to happen. I am a strong swimmer though so it worked.

nikki thomson
12-03-2013, 10:09 PM

I agree it does look horrific but if you watch the other videos her mother took of her following lessons by the 6th lesson she had done it, yes it wasn't nice to watch but it could one day save her life, could I do that to my children? Probably not but I can understand the thinking behind it, I do think it's pretty amazing that they can do that.

1michelle
12-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Saw this a few days ago brilliant but agree with the person that said would not totaly trust it !

waterwaybabies
13-03-2013, 09:03 AM
there is a better way.lol its called keeping your toddler safe and teaching them to swim yourself.x
mine all learned early and enjoyed the experience.