PDA

View Full Version : email, genuine or not?

3 little ducks
12-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Had an email from a lady this am, saying she got my details from LA, has read my ofsted report and is very impressed. she says thye living in usa till aug when they coming to this area to live/work and want childcare for their daughter and could i provide it, have given hours but said can be flexible days/hours to fit. i have heard of scams where people email to ask for spaces to be reserved, they send money order and somehow get your bank details. how do you tell if these are genuine enquiries or not? She talks of getting a job at local university and mentions it by name, wants to know my postcode, if i will spaces in august etc. what would you do? :confused:

3 little ducks
12-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Dear Ms. xxxxx

I found your contact details through the Kent Childcare Directory,
provided online by Kent County Council.

My husband and I currently live inxxxx. I am English
(born and raised in xxx) and my husband xx is American (from
xx). We are due to move to xx in August this year, to take
up positions as academics in the xxx Department at the
University of Kent. We are looking for a quality childcare arrangement
for our daughter, who was born onxxx. She will be xxx
onxxx, which is approximately the date at which we will
need childcare to start. We are hoping to find good quality childcare
that would cover at least 30 hours a week, but our schedules will be
extremely flexible initially. So we could, for example, squeeze those
hours into 4 out of the five weekdays, or use the childcare at
different times on each day, depending on your available vacancies.

We were impressed by your very positive Ofsted report. I write to
enquire whether you are likely to have any vacancies for a child
xx age at the end of August 2013?

Also, would you kindly let me know your approximate location (e.g.postcode?)

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best wishes,

xxx

above is copy of email, really dont know wether to reply or not???

shortstuff
12-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I would reply and ask for more information. See how forthcoming they are. Why would you worry about giving your bank details? I would understand not issueing card details but bank details should be safe. I worked in a bank for 5 years and didnt have any reported issues of this nature. Maybe see if you are still concerned if they can send you a cheque issued in £'s rather than dollars? Then you dont have to give details? Paypal transfer but remember to add the paypal fees so you arent out of pocket? There are a few ways round it. Hth

Tealady
12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
If I remember rightly the scam was that the parents would then say they had grossly over paid you your deposit and or advance fees and ask for a refund before their payment had cleared in your bank. People would then send the refund straight away but funnily enough the money from the parents would never arrive.

Yo could Google their names and see what comes up. Or you could follow this up, and if they seem genuine explain the scam and that you are cautious. Ask for permission to check with the uni. The uni may not give out info but their boss-to-be could call you to confirm. You could then take his/her name and number for your records but then contact them directly through the uni switch board and speak to the person again, incase it's an accomplice they had phone you.

Tealady
12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
If I remember rightly the scam was that the parents would then say they had grossly over paid you your deposit and or advance fees and ask for a refund before their payment had cleared in your bank. People would then send the refund straight away but funnily enough the money from the parents would never arrive.

Yo could Google their names and see what comes up. Or you could follow this up, and if they seem genuine explain the scam and that you are cautious. Ask for permission to check with the uni. The uni may not give out info but their boss-to-be could call you to confirm. You could then take his/her name and number for your records but then contact them directly through the uni switch board and speak to the person again, incase it's an accomplice they had phone you.

Ha, Just Googled her name and she has a big web presence as an academic! As does he!

Nicola Carlyle
12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
I would email her back and ask for lots more information. As soon as bank details are mentioned I would say you do not give these out until you have met with families and contracts are being signed. Whilst you understand their situation you cannot hold a place for someone you have never met.

It could very well be genuine and if so it could be very good for you.

Let us know what happens. X

phoenix2010
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
seems genuine but just to be sure insist on a cheque if you get that far

mummyMia
12-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I would definitely reply, it sounds like it could be genuine. Perhaps ask them if they are planning on making a trip to the UK before their move date as surely they will need to arrange accommodation, etc. :)

Helen79
12-03-2013, 11:39 AM
It does sound genuine, I wouldn't give my bank details or exact address out though just yet. Ask them for more info if you've got a space free for them and maybe invite them for an initial visit once they've moved.
I'd take their names of your post, this is in the general section.

Mouse
12-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Ha, Just Googled her name and she has a big web presence as an academic! As does he!

That is often a common tactic used in these scam emails. If someone is easy to find on the internet it is easy to find out all the details that have been put in the email. If you google the name you can probably find the name of the child, where the woman was born, age of child etc. Just because the info in the email seems correct it doesn't mean the person sending it is who they say they are.

I have seen a few scam emails where the person says they are moving to the UK & want you to look after their child. The email you've put does seem different though, so it may be worth replying.

One point though, you really shouldn't be copying & pasting an email that might well be genuine. Parents probably wouldn't be happy at all to have their details on an open forum. Either try editing personal details out of it, or ask an admin to :thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
12-03-2013, 12:07 PM
hi

I would reply and give the first part of your postcode, but wouldnt give bank details ect at this stage. x

caz3007
12-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Are your ofsted reports linked to your LA's website, was just wondering how she would have read it if she didnt have your postcode.

I would reply giving approximate details of where you live, how far from the Uni etc but be careful of giving out too much info. Bank details such as your account number etc are readily available on your cheques, so they really shouldnt be a problem if you gave out

3 little ducks
12-03-2013, 12:18 PM
woa, loads of replies and advice, never expected that, thanks all and thanks for tip of editing details never thought of that and thanks to whoever did it for me. OOOpppps, :o never thought about putting personal details on here. the scams mentioned of overpayment were ones i had heard of. May just email and ask for more details etc. xx

3 little ducks
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Right, have googled and they both seem very professional if it is from them! Gut feeling is that it is not though. So have emailed her through link on her website, asking if it is from them and if so asking for more details. Will keep you informed.

FussyElmo
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Right, have googled and they both seem very professional if it is from them! Gut feeling is that it is not though. So have emailed her through link on her website, asking if it is from them and if so asking for more details. Will keep you informed.

Does it say which american university they are based with. Could you not email them through the university and see if you get a response that way :thumbsup:

caz3007
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I think I would also ring the uk uni and explain the situation, explain about the scams you have heard about and just say you dont want much information, but could they confirm they are coming to work there. I used to work in a company which did telephone checks on employment and we used to be able to get companies to say that someone with that name worked for them, but no more info than that unless in writing. So to me it would be worth a try

QualityCare
12-03-2013, 01:38 PM
You could contact the uni at kent raising your concerns about the e-mail and scams and ask if they could confirm the names and date the position is to start they wouldn't be giving you any personal details out or giving you details you don't already know, they may confirm if there is a child.

hectors house
12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
What a horrible world we live in that we have to be so suspicious of anyone and everything - I really hope that this is a genuine enquiry and you can be flattered that these people have done their research well and want you.

It is my understanding that the bank account details you would give are exactly the same as appear on a cheque and we used to hand those over without thinking about it. Also if they pay money in, they can't take it out and you shouldn't pay anything back without checking the funds have reached your account in the first place - the other option would be they could send Dollars through the post recorded delivery.

taiwallis
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
i hate to say it but initial gut reaction is its fake... i had something similar about 6 yrs ago, right down to them sending me photos of the child. - i held the place for them as i was pretty naive, and yes, was sent a cheque for far too much - and the story goes on from there.... i would be very hesitant!! People can find out sooo much these days from the internet to make it sound real. They are even doing it with pets these days!! Good luck! x

wendywu
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
So what would happen if you banked a cheque then said the excess would be put towards future childcare, or just banked it and ran.

It would be good to get one over on the scammers . :D

Cookie Monster
12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I can't understand anyone deciding on Childcare without even meeting the carer in person first before even contemplating giving them money. Totally dodge if you ask me.

~Grasshopper~
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM
i doubt the cheque would clear!!!

x