PDA

View Full Version : Shift working

sprinkles
11-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Those of you with shift workers; how do you manage it and do you charge differently?

I've had an enquiry from August for a one year old boy. Her sister currently looks after him but she is returning to college in August so can no longer watch him.

Mum works in a pub so works shifts over a 3 weeks basis - different days and hours each week. It would be week 1: Tuesday 10-5 & Friday 11-6, week 2: tues 11-6, Wednesday 10-5 & Friday 10-5 and week 3: Thursday 10-4.

So works out about 14 hours per week + drop off and pick up time. How would you go about charging for this? Would you just charge normal hourly rate? I was thinking of taking the hours and dividing them by the three weeks so she's paying the same amount each week instead of different amounts each week? Then I have that set amount coming in each week.

Also, how do you work these around other mindees/enquiries as I would be limited to what other enquiries I could take on with this mindees hours changing each week.

mummyMia
11-03-2013, 10:26 PM
It looks like they will never need you on a Monday so the child will take up a 4-day space Tuesday to Friday. I have had shift workers in the past and it has worked out well because I don't always want to be full, but 14 hours a week would be too little for me. For a 4-day space I would charge for a minimum of 20 hours a week averaged out over the 3 week period. This would be at my normal hourly rate. :)

sprinkles
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
It looks like they will never need you on a Monday so the child will take up a 4-day space Tuesday to Friday. I have had shift workers in the past and it has worked out well because I don't always want to be full, but 14 hours a week would be too little for me. For a 4-day space I would charge for a minimum of 20 hours a week averaged out over the 3 week period. This would be at my normal hourly rate. :)

I never thought of it like that - thanks! Obviously I can't take on a full timer over those four days (if I already had two others under school age) as this one needs the space but not every day. So charge 20 hours per week at my normal hourly rate?

I love this site for making you see things from a different angle which you may not from your own point of view.

mummyMia
11-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Some childminders would charge for all four days because the child is taking up the space. It really depends on how much you need to be able to earn from childminding and how much the parent is willing to pay. Always a tricky balance. :)

sprinkles
11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah I don't want to be like, you must pay for all day and then drive them away as work round here is pretty scarce as there's about 14 of us! She's going to the local private nursery tomorrow but said she doesn't think they can cover her hours. She already asked if she could secure a place with me and she doesn't even know what I'm charging! I told her I'd get them up for a meeting once I'm registered!

I might see if I can find out how much the nursery charge, and go a bit less ;)

littlemiss60561
12-03-2013, 12:09 AM
I had a shift worker and was sooooo desperate to take the child on ( little did I know.....) that I agreed to all sorts I wished I hadn't. Main one being, I offer full time discount. They wanted 39 hours a week , so I Gave it. They also wanted term time only but I didn't twig about the full time discount till it was to late :0( spread over the 5 days. I found it hard planning our outings as the shifts were completely different every week. They were also difficult in letting me know last minute.But, if the hours are set and repeated 3 weekly that's good. If you charge 20, are they likely to use the 20 hrs? Or could you put the hourly rate up enough to cover 20 + hours but only offer the 14? Or would that be to much per hour? Def ring nursery and see what they charge and if they charge per session. They usually do don't they. So she would need to be paying for both morning and afternoon session each day to get her hours covered. I think the jobs yours if she does the maths, but you need to definatly not be out of pocket losing a full time place.

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I had a shift worker and was sooooo desperate to take the child on ( little did I know.....) that I agreed to all sorts I wished I hadn't. Main one being, I offer full time discount. They wanted 39 hours a week , so I Gave it. They also wanted term time only but I didn't twig about the full time discount till it was to late :0( spread over the 5 days. I found it hard planning our outings as the shifts were completely different every week. They were also difficult in letting me know last minute.But, if the hours are set and repeated 3 weekly that's good. If you charge 20, are they likely to use the 20 hrs? Or could you put the hourly rate up enough to cover 20 + hours but only offer the 14? Or would that be to much per hour? Def ring nursery and see what they charge and if they charge per session. They usually do don't they. So she would need to be paying for both morning and afternoon session each day to get her hours covered. I think the jobs yours if she does the maths, but you need to definatly not be out of pocket losing a full time place.

I'm glad it's set hours over a three week period or I wouldn't know what to do!!

I don't think I could put the hourly rate up but thinking if I find out how much the nursery are wanting to charge her I could go a bit lower as a "set fee" each week. Not sure if that would work?

jillplum
12-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I recently quoted on a five week shift pattern. I looked at each week and charged full for the hours they would use and half for those they wouldnt need but would have to be kept open for them. I then added the 5 weekly amounts together and divided it by 5 to give aa amount to be paid each week. Mind you I havent heard if I have the job yet lol. It was a lot cheaper than the local nursery.

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Never thought of that way! Did you charge full days for the days you were needed? So if I'm only needed 10-5 (so roughly 9.30-5.30 including pick up and drop off) I could charge half fee from say 8-9.30 & 5.30-6? I'm not sure what to class as a full day? 8-6?

jillplum
12-03-2013, 04:56 PM
This is going to sound complicated but I will try lol. I looked at the earliest start time and latest finish time over the five weeks for each day and took those hours as what I wouldnhave to keep open every week. Then for each week worked out how many of those hours would be used and charged full for those. The remainder for that week I charged half fee. Does that make sense? I had to write it down a few times to sort it out in my head lol

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM
That makes sense! Can see why you needed to write it down though lol. I'll have a wee look at it tonight and see what I come up with :)

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Doesn't look like I'll get it after all. She said the nursery charge £3.75 per hour and can pick up and drop off from her house. From what I gather she only pays for the hours she uses and she has to pay 4 weeks in advance. She also said that the nursery said because she is a working mum the government can help her pay for childcare?

Unfortunately I can't justify only charging £50 a week when the child is taking up a full space four days a week. It's easier for the nursery as they have so many children and have the staff to accommodate them at this rate. I also can't do pick up or drop off.

tigwig
12-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Are you sure shes not trying it on? I dont know of any nurseries that charge an hourly rate or do home pick up/drop offs or are things different in your area? If £50 a week is all she is prepared to pay anyway you are best out of it. I wouldnt do it for that. hopefully something else will turn up for you soon. :)

FussyElmo
12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Doesn't look like I'll get it after all. She said the nursery charge £3.75 per hour and can pick up and drop off from her house. From what I gather she only pays for the hours she uses and she has to pay 4 weeks in advance. She also said that the nursery said because she is a working mum the government can help her pay for childcare?

Unfortunately I can't justify only charging £50 a week when the child is taking up a full space four days a week. It's easier for the nursery as they have so many children and have the staff to accommodate them at this rate. I also can't do pick up or drop off.

Yes she will get help with her childcare through tax credits but these can be used to pay you as well.

I dont mind part timers and will only charge for the hours they use - full time children can be rare to come across now but everyone is different :thumbsup:

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Are you sure shes not trying it on? I dont know of any nurseries that charge an hourly rate or do home pick up/drop offs or are things different in your area? If £50 a week is all she is prepared to pay anyway you are best out of it. I wouldnt do it for that. hopefully something else will turn up for you soon. :)

I asked her if she would just be paying for the hours and days she uses or does she have to pay a set fee to cover days she doesn't need and all she said was that she has to pay 4 weeks in advance, so she gets a 4 weekly invoice.

She never actually said how much she would be paying but £50 is how much it would be for me to charge her for the hours she needs over the three weeks. My fee is only £3.50 per hour though. I can't justify keeping a full time space for her when she's only using 7 hours one of the weeks.

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes she will get help with her childcare through tax credits but these can be used to pay you as well.

I dont mind part timers and will only charge for the hours they use - full time children can be rare to come across now but everyone is different :thumbsup:

I don't mind part timers at all as all my enquiries so far have been for part timers - full timers are few and far between here. She's a shift worker though so needing different days each week and I can't fill those days with another mindee - therefore can't justify only charging her for the hours she needs as she's taking up a full time space for four days a week.

sprinkles
12-03-2013, 10:39 PM
So I worked out if I was to charge full days for the days needed between Tuesday & Friday each week and then charge half fee for the days not needed it would work out at £73.50 per week plus pick up and drop off time. Still think this is quite low for a child taking up a full time space for four days....?

littlemiss60561
12-03-2013, 11:45 PM
So long as its registered childcare the government can help. never known a nursery that does pick ups and drop offs either unless they are a childminders turned nursery maybe? Neither have I heard of a nursery charging hourly! Reckon she's trying to barter. Personally I'd say stick it. I'd then phone the nursery as a parent look g for my son and ask for prices etc but that's because I'm nosey!

sprinkles
13-03-2013, 06:51 AM
So long as its registered childcare the government can help. never known a nursery that does pick ups and drop offs either unless they are a childminders turned nursery maybe? Neither have I heard of a nursery charging hourly! Reckon she's trying to barter. Personally I'd say stick it. I'd then phone the nursery as a parent look g for my son and ask for prices etc but that's because I'm nosey!

It's a private nursery that I think are like childminders as they do before and after school care too.

My friend told me it was a fee for the day but I'll need to speaks to her and see if I can find out more.

jillplum
13-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Its really hard to work out this kind of fee situation. BUT it has to be worth your while doing it. The one I quoted for would be good for me as I have a full timer and two part timers so would be happy to have some quiet days and weeks but still have areasonable amount of money each week.

greanan
13-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a mindee on shifts. On average he's at mine 3days a week but could be any of the 5. I charge mum for 3 days then add on any extra

sprinkles
13-03-2013, 05:07 PM
If the nursery can do it for £3.75ph for only the hours she needs I'm not sure why she still wants me to give her fees - I've told her I can't justify only charging those hours as she's taking up a full time space but she has still asked how much my fee would be. Weird....

tigwig
13-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Shes definitely trying it on I would say! Stick to your guns and only price her what you would be happy with. If she likes it she will come and if she doesnt tough, you will get someone else. I havent had any shift workers yet but I would charge a minimum of half fees for days they werent here and possible more. Dont feel pressurised, its your business your choice. :)

sprinkles
13-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I've gone back to her and said it will be at least £80 per week once drop off and pick up times are added in. I also told her it seemed like the nursery was the best option for her. She came back and said she has a meeting with her boss tomorrow so will come back to me; not sure what the meeting is for though as she is already back at work working these hours.

jillplum
14-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Well just have to wait and see.