PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice?

Tinkerbell1979
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I took on a temporary contract from 2nd Jan. mum told me they should be moving mid-May (no official notice given so no exact date). Anyway I've had a enquiry for permanent contract which could amount to nothing but could want me before then.

Question is:

1. Would you give notice to temporary contract (4 weeks)?

2. How do you do this in the nicest possible way?

I'm new cm so never had to do it before.

TIA

QualityCare
11-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Difficult one, yes you can give notice to temp just explain that due to a change in circumstances you have to give notice, if you want to be fair you could say that a permanent contract has come up and you cannot have both children,but you don't know yet if the permanent contract will come to anything as they may need you to start sooner than a month and you may lose out if they have no family who can help out until you have a vacancy, until you have some thing definite then l wouldn't do anything as you could end up with no-one.

Tinkerbell1979
11-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi thanks for reply. No I won't give notice until I once for def this permanent contract wants me. If she does just wondered how I could go about nicely giving notice as family are lovely but I need to look date my future if that makes sebse

Tinkerbell1979
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
That made no sense sorry - need to think about future contracts/money coming in

littlemiss60561
12-03-2013, 12:19 AM
It's a tough one isn't it, but may is only 2 months away so income will soon drop. I'd have to give notice If a new child confirmed a place. Could you ask again if there's any more news on a definite leaving date as your getting enquiries and don't know when to say your available from, as you will obviously need the space filled but don't want to issue notice?

phoenix2010
12-03-2013, 08:15 AM
I suppose you would treat it like any other contract

if you want to end it , then you can as long as you are abiding by what was written in the contract

You are bound to feel awkward , but its your livelihood at the end of the day so you have to think about the long term

Maybe you could just be honest and just say you have the offer of a permanent contract and so you have to make a business decision , theres not really any way to sugar coat it and hopefully they will understand

izzy23
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Its very hard, but as everyone else has said, its a business at the end of the day, and it makes business sense if you take on a permanent contract as opposed to keeping on one you know is due to end soon anyway. I'd definitely give notice on the temp place if the perm one comes off and I really don't think you should give yourself a hard time about it, as long as you go by what your contracts state in terms of notice etc then no worries :)

Tinkerbell1979
12-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Thank you for replying