PDA

View Full Version : New child

thills
11-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I have a new little girl starting on Thursday, she is 18 months old and only just bum shuffling with no desire to walk even when u hold her hands. She has reasons for being delayed but has anyone got any ideas on how to help her strengthen her muscles ready to start trying to walk?

Bluebell
17-03-2013, 03:44 PM
have you got any child height table that you could put an activity on (maybe some musical instruments that would attract her attention) or one of those baby toys that is child height with buttons and so on. Roll a ball along the sofa so child can follow it. Once child is confident to pull up and cruise it will make more confident to perhaps walk. Also if you have a car or trolley that has a handle for child to hold while gaining confidence to walk.
If she's got reasons for not being able to walk though perhaps have a chat with the mum about what the HV / GP says.

Carol
17-03-2013, 09:07 PM
All children develop at different times. I had a 16month old bum shuffler both her parents and myself tried everything, but eventually she did progress. I think once she watches other children and some interesting toys are put on say the settee that could encourage the child, to stand and balance etc.

Carol

TraceyC
18-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Two of my own children bum shuffled and one walked at 20 months and the other the week before her 2nd birthday.. Health visitor and Physio were involved with suggestions of how to help, but none of it really helped. They just got up and walked when they were ready. Those trolleys with bricks helps and toy buggies/prams and if they can pull up to a toy kitchen/cooker/workbench - that helps too. When we used to go outside, I would put my kids in all in one waterproofs and muddy puddles sell waterproof feet and let them shuffle about like that at the park and places like that. Otherwise they can't play outside or end up sitting in a buggy the whole time.

It will just be difficult for you as 18 month olds are heavy to carry all the time and hard if you are looking after other toddlers.