PDA

View Full Version : Driving ...

Kayleighjm
11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi all.
I really want to become a childminder but I don't have a licence. Is this a problem. Are there any childminders out there that don't drive.
Kay

sprinkles
11-03-2013, 07:07 PM
There are childminders that don't drive and also ones that choose not to use their car. I can drive but am not planning on using the car. We have a freelander 2 so if I find I need a car in the future then I will need to buy another one to use for work. I'm about 1.5 miles from local schools so will just have to grin and bare the rain etc. I am only about ten minutes walk from the town centre though.

It's entirely up to personal preference but just because you can't drive it doesn't mean you can't be a childminder.

Good luck!

helena_j
11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Don't let the driving put you off, if you can access activities parks eat by foot then that's fine:-) I drive and try to avoid using car most the time, I love walking much to the annoyance of one of my minded children who likes to go in the car and avoid walking at all costs! As a parent I would not be worried by a childminder that can't drive fresh air and exercise are better:-)

mummyMia
11-03-2013, 10:08 PM
When I started I didn't drive either. I think it depends on where you live. I was in outer London and could get to lots of places on the bus or by walking. The school, the park and the children's centre were all within walking distance. Soft play and the farm were on the bus route. I looked after three children all under 2 and managed to get out and about. I have since moved out of London and had to get a driving license. In my new town there are hardly any buses and everything is so much further away. I miss walking because it was actually so much easier to just put the kids in the buggy and go. Now I am constantly faffing about with folding and unfolding the buggy and strapping children into carseats.

jackie 7
12-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't have a car. In London it was easy. You could go on the middle of the bus but here I need one and as soon as I get another lo I will be on to the lease hire people and get one. That said I do manage.

Maza
12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't drive. Never been a problem. I do have lots of playgroups/parks/library etc on my doorstep and so probably wouldn't use a car anyway. x

jillplum
12-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I do drive but use the car very rarely as I live within walking distance of schools and park and shops and toddlers etc. It is easier walking witha buggy than getting them in and out of car seats.