PDA

View Full Version : Cramming Food in Mouth

Tealady
11-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I have a child in my care who is 2.5. When he is eating he just stuffs his mouth full and then if it is finger food just conveyor belts it in i.e swallows and stuffs at the same time.

I used to let it go a little as he was very young. He was Baby Led Weaned, but then so were my two and they don't eat like this. Now he is older I have been trying to encourage smaller bites / mouthfuls and having an empty mouth before having more food. He only does this if reminded with every mouthful :( Also it is begining to upset the other children as he permantly has a runny nose so grunts and snuffles eating the huge mouthfuls of food plus Me and the Mindee are getting sick of me having to remind all the time. I feel like a Nag.

I have a section at the back of my daily diary that states "what we are working on" and I have put in there that we are working on this, however I've had no feedback from the parents about this as as I am getting nowhere I am wondering if they aren't bothered and aren't supporting this.

Should I speak to them? I realise different families have different standards but he sometimes gags and I worry about him choking. They are off on holiday for 3 weeks from Wednesday so should I speak before they go or maybe let it go until they get back?

singingcactus
11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't think I have had this in my time, but I think Loocyloo has a little one who is doing this and she has a method she is working on at the moment. I think it will be a process lol.

Wheelybug
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
I have currently have 3 2 year olds. The one who has been with me since 9 months doesn't eat like this, whereas the other two who have both been with me for only a short time both eat like this. One even spits the food back onto the plate after its been chewed and they've decided they don't like it:panic: I find it really bizarre as none of my own 4 children ever ate like this. I can only put it down to a lack of supervision and guidance when eating at home. I think meal times is often seen as a way of entertaining children while parents can get on with other things. Like you all I've found I can really do is encourage them, when eating things like sandwiches, to take a bite and then take their hands away from their mouths. You could try cutting the sandwiches into bitesized pieces. I agree though its something that quite tricky to raise with parents, how do you politely ask them it they really let their child eat like that at home!! My two don't tend to choke, but you could raise it with parents from this point of view, say you're concerned that he is going to choke, he has on a couple of occasions and then explain what you are doing to minimise this, in the hope they might take it onboard and support you. Good luck!

Cathy

QualityCare
11-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Cut food into small bite size pieces as suggested above but only give one piece at a time so he has to wait between mouthfulls before he can put another piece in, l know this is time consuming for you at meal times but l have found even if they have small pieces they still do the same this way they learn to wait and you can stop 'nagging'.