PDA

View Full Version : Fees - am I missing anything

swmabo
11-03-2013, 12:04 PM
ok so I have been trying to work out all my fees, rates and charges etc. I have spoken to local CM so that I am not doing anything out of the ordinary for my area. I am just wondering if I have missed anything?
Payment in advance with a deposit to hold space.
Registration / booking fee (which I will include a 2 hr settling in session)
Late payment fee
Hourly rate and day rate for emergency or occasional care.
Retainer for shift workers who want space held on flexible basis.
Additional costs - extra curricular activities that parents want included i.e. baby sensory or swimming to be paid by parent.

Got this niggling feeling I am missing something??

hectors house
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Only thing I would include extra would be holiday fees - do you intend for them to pay for space all year round, or are you going to allow them to take 4 weeks a year with notice and charge half fee? Full fee or no charge for bank holidays? Are you going to still charge them when you are on holiday? Occasional days off / sick?

I allow them to take 4 weeks notice if they give me 4 weeks notice - otherwise full fee

I don't charge when I am on holiday or for bank holidays - if I am not available to work, they don't pay

If parents or child are sick and child doesn't come they still pay in full, if I can slot them in another day that week I will do but that is my choice and not set in stone.

k1rstie
11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
What's a registration/booking fee? I have never heard of that.

Do not forget that you are self employed and run your business however you want. Just looking at this forum, there is a great variation in the way everyone charges. Ie, advance/arrears, holidays, bank holidays, food, etc.

Well done for thinking about you fees before your first interview - I think I made mine up on the morning!!

Goatgirl
11-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I would also add a late collection/early drop of fee :thumbsup:

swmabo
11-03-2013, 01:05 PM
thanks for the posts, Holiday's I had forgotten about them (what are they lol) yes that is a tricky one I did speak to another local minder who charges half fee both ways but she said its fine when the parent takes a holiday but they tend to forget about the part where she takes a holiday.
I was thinking of trying to make sure that I make my holiday dates really clear and not charge, but if they want to take their child out extra to it (treating it like the school I guess) then I would still expect payment. So I guess it gives them the choice to choose to take their holiday when I do if they dont want to pay for care they dont use. I was thinking about half fee when they take holiday though, I just don't want to sell myself short. But thinking about it I could put a notice period that would then allow me to budget the loss or fill it (unlikely lol) So much to decide on!

I want to be really clear from the start to try and avoid any arguments over payments, I see so many posts so I am expecting it at some point, I figure the clearer I am the easier it is to stand by it and not get caught out.

I wasn't planning on charging if I have to close due to illness on my part, it doesn't feel right as it is the kind of thing that would be last min and out of my control. Was thinking of charging half rate when their child is sick, but then again there is no way I would recover that cost and if I don't charge half rate for their hols then they could just pull sicky to go on holiday.

The registration fee would help to cover time wasters, people who take contracts welcome packs etc then disappear as all this is an expense to me, plus my time spent with them and holding a space for them.

My head is spinning with so much to think about and decide upon! :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
11-03-2013, 01:59 PM
I would charge full if the child was off sick, likely to be short notice and so could change any plans you had. I don't charge if I'm not available so holidays, sick etc, and charge parents half if they are on holiday! Having said that all my parents have been with me a long time, so any new ones I take on I may charge full for their hols :rolleyes:

MessybutHappy
11-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a bit that says that full days may be the only option during the holidays if we've planned a day trip out...

FussyElmo
11-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Your bit about extra curriculum activities etc if you hsd 2 sets of parents and 1 wanted swimming and 1 didnt what would you do then?

Personally I dont agree to any extra curriculum activites as I dont want to beholden to what a parent wants.

Holdays mine are no charge full fee for theirs. Same for sickness no fee if I close but full fee for them

swmabo
11-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Your bit about extra curriculum activities etc if you hsd 2 sets of parents and 1 wanted swimming and 1 didnt what would you do then?

Personally I dont agree to any extra curriculum activites as I dont want to beholden to what a parent wants.

Holdays mine are no charge full fee for theirs. Same for sickness no fee if I close but full fee for them

I would have to look at the extra curricular on a case by case basis, I don't mind doing it if it fits in with the rest of my routine (i.e. taking a baby to baby sensory class when the only other mindees I have are at school) but it may not be the case that it will work out. Or if parents want me to take them to the zoo or oceanarium in the holidays something that I haven't planned for (as I am sure I will do trips etc.)

I think I am feeling more confident with the fees now, thanks for the tips on holidays etc. I think I will not charge when I am off and charge if they take time off outside my holidays.

finally got my paperwork back from GP today so all sent off, just got to wait on Ofsted now!