PDA

View Full Version : Getting blamed again!

bernesewalking
11-03-2013, 07:04 AM
According to an article in the mail on line, children that spend long days at nurserys and childminders end up being tearaways at school and have mental health problems as they are away from their parents for to long!

AgentTink
11-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Not read the article yet, however to some extent I do think some part of it is true, however it is not childminders or nurserys fault. The fault lies with how families have to work long hours, normally both parents, with companies not really helping when it comes to provisions for flexible working.

I see a lot of children who spend long periods away from their parents and they crave their parents attention when they do see them. This makes the child then seem over active and and most of the time they then play up for their parents to get attention. I am sure this pattern just keeps repeating through school.

Just wish the government would realise how important a part parents play in a child's learning. All this business about children not being school ready should be looked at, because alot of it cones from todays society were families just don't have the time or patience to wait for their child to do their coat and shoes and so they do it all for them

I have not woke up in a good mood this morning can you tell :)

Becci26
11-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I do kind of agree, it's not the fault of childminders or nurseries BUT I certainly think it affects children as some are away from their parents for such long periods.

My dd went to a nursery 3/4 days a week 8-6 until she went to school (then went to a cm until 6:30) and it massively affected her, she was tired, I was tired and craved attention that unfortunately I was too exhausted to give her.
My had awful behaviour issues and it's only since I have been a cm myself and around for her that this has settled down.

Shame really but at the time I had no other choice - one of my biggest regrets in life!

That said though, I think children that come to cm's receive more of a home from home environment and are more likely to be more settled.

bunyip
11-03-2013, 08:51 AM
According to an article in the mail on line, children that spend long days at nurserys and childminders end up being tearaways at school and have mental health problems as they are away from their parents for to long!

Would that be the same Daily Mail that spent decades lauding the rampant house price hikes that are endemic to "the property-owning democracy"? The same price rises that forced both parents of most families out to work and spend less time with their children? The same right-wing rag that criticises the EU Working Time Directive, bashes trades unions, and would love to see the erosion of every single worker's right to spend more time with their family and less being scr3w3d over by some profit-hungry Capitalist millionaire?

Well at least the lo's get some consistency at nursery/CM. More than they get from the Daily Mail. :mad:

hectors house
11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I think this may be true of Nurseries but am furious that they have lumped childminders into the equation. All of the children I have looked after over the last 24 years have turned out ok, some have gone onto University, one is currently at Uni doing teaching degree, one boy (now a man) is a carer for adults with specials needs, one is doing an apprenticeship with an electrician. Of the lo's I have looked after more recently a couple have had issues with shyness and confidence but both of them had very mixed up and messed up family lives - so I resent being blamed for their problems, I was the stable thing in their lives!

rickysmiths
11-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Would that be the same Daily Mail that spent decades lauding the rampant house price hikes that are endemic to "the property-owning democracy"? The same price rises that forced both parents of most families out to work and spend less time with their children? The same right-wing rag that criticises the EU Working Time Directive, bashes trades unions, and would love to see the erosion of every single worker's right to spend more time with their family and less being scr3w3d over by some profit-hungry Capitalist millionaire?

Well at least the lo's get some consistency at nursery/CM. More than they get from the Daily Mail. :mad:

Now you see I don't think the hike in house prices just happened. I think the choice for women to stay at home was lost the minute that Building Societies and Banks took more than one salary into account for a Mortgage it then fueled the house price increases and it is a viscous circle now that would be impossible to stop.

I fear for children in the future because if all the government plans go ahead I see parents choice being diminished, more and more Day Care Nurseries will be built with even more children in them never going out of the four walls and the standard of childminders will go down due to lack of incentive to excel.

wendywu
11-03-2013, 01:13 PM
No difference between a childminder an grandmother or aunt. A nursery is different as no matter how it tries it is not nor can ever be a home . :panic

MessybutHappy
11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Like most of you, I sell my business on the fact that I can tailor our activities to the individual children so much more easily than a nursery! Also that I'm their only carer so get to know them properly. How can that be harmful? Arghhhh

jillplum
11-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I know of children who would have done better if they had been to a nursery or childminder from very early age. Instaed they are dragged up with zero parent interaction or interest and allowed to wander the streets till all hours as soon as they can walk. Needless to say these children are now committing crimes, drinking and taking drugs etc. Parents are not always the best childcare option.

Helen79
11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I read the article on the daily mail website. The report that they're referring to is in response to the proposed changes in Sept and says the author is against the changes. It's based on studies in Sweden that says that longer hours and larger ratios have a negative impact on children in later life. It's not referring to children in the uk.
It would have been a positive article in favour of us keeping our ratios lower if it had been reported anywhere other than the daily mail :mad:

bunyip
12-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Maybe the press would think more highly of nurseries and CMs if we taught the lo's how to tap private phone lines and take photoes of royal willies and ladies' chests. :p