PDA

View Full Version : How can I hep prevent DD catching cold after cold after cold?

Maza
10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I must be doing something wrong :( DD, 4, has had soooo many colds since she started nursery in September. (I'm not blaming nursery at all.) I'm not talking just a runny nose and the odd sneeze, I mean really debilitating colds, with temperatures, lack of energy etc. She needs about a week off nursery with each one. The last couple have affected her hearing too.

She is offered 5 a day with fruits and veg, but like most kids she will occasionally leave the veg on her plate. She has a multi vitamin. I make her wash her hands when she gets home from nursery or the playground. One thing she does which drives me mad, is wipe her nose on her sleeves, no matter how often I tell her not to - this can't help surely. She does use tissues as well (which we have in every room) but she has got into this bad habit. She has also had a couple of ear infections and a tummy bug since starting nursery and so her attendance has been really bad. What else can I do to stop her having these colds? x

Velleity
10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I give both of my children Optibac Probiotics for children. You can mix it with water/juice/into a yoghurt and for us it has really worked - neither have had a cold all winter ^_^

Maza
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Where do you get it from Vellity? x

nikkiv
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
It's quite common for children to catch everything going when they go to a new setting lots of new people and new germs and then if she's not recovered fully she will catch something else my son went through a patch like this! Even though he eats lots of fruit, not so good with the veg I got him some vitamins and they seem to be doing the job, might be worth a try

chriss
10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Could you ask nursery to remind her to wash her hands whilst there, and explain why.

blue bear
10-03-2013, 06:58 PM
My doctor advised me to give ds one of those probiotic drinks like actively or Yakut daily, said they had had great results with children who catch bug after bug. Unfortuently ds has a severe milk allergy so no good for him but one of my mindees tried it and was much improved very quickly.

Velleity
10-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Well the Probiotics that I give are the pure form and not mixed into a sugar/dairy concoction like Yakult so they would be fine for a child with an allergy. Just make sure you don't give them with anything hot as the heat will kill the good bacteria. They also help with stomach upsets I have found and sort my daughter out if she ever becomes constipated. You can buy them on Amazon. The adult versions are great too - immune support, clearer skin, better digestion and general better health. I can't rate probiotics highly enough. They are particularly amazing if you suffer from Yeast overgrowths such as Thrush.

The Juggler
10-03-2013, 08:09 PM
manuka honey, spoon a day. kiwis (great for vitamin c), just lots of fruits and veg generally.

jackie 7
10-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Make sure that she gets enough bit d as there was no sun last summer. Most fruit and veg has been stored for a while and has lost most vitamins. The nhs does say all children under 5 should have multivitamins.

Zoomie
10-03-2013, 11:13 PM
When my son was a baby, we had a 5 month period where he had 8 courses of antibiotics. Bronchitis, ear infections, throat infection - it was something different everytime. He also got an upset tummy from the antibiotics and his nappy area would get sore, we would just get his bottom healed and the whole cycle would start again.

And then he just stopped getting sick.

Hopefully your DD will be well soon too :)

Maza
11-03-2013, 08:39 AM
When my son was a baby, we had a 5 month period where he had 8 courses of antibiotics. Bronchitis, ear infections, throat infection - it was something different everytime. He also got an upset tummy from the antibiotics and his nappy area would get sore, we would just get his bottom healed and the whole cycle would start again.

And then he just stopped getting sick.

Hopefully your DD will be well soon too :)

Thanks Zoomie, I hope so. It does make hubby and me very grateful that I have this job - I just wouldn't be able to hold on to another job with all the time I would have to take off! Obviously I closed when she had the tummy bug. Glad your little one got over his sickness, it must have been exhausting for you. x

Dragonfly
11-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't think you can stop a child getting everything.Look on the bright side,she will grow up to be a healthy adult as she got everything as a child!
Not much help i know.

Maza
11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't think you can stop a child getting everything.Look on the bright side,she will grow up to be a healthy adult as she got everything as a child!
Not much help i know.

Well that's what I'm hoping! Hopefully she's getting it all out of the way now while I'm working from home and can be there for her.

phoenix2010
11-03-2013, 09:53 AM
She is building her immunity , when they start nursery or school they are suddenly bombarded with everyone elses germs , and its normal

wiping her nose on her sleeve wont make her ill as she already has the cold , but its not very good for other children that might touch her sleeve

Some children just seem to get more than others , my son is prone to chest infection , some winters her has had as many as 6 one after the other , otherwise he is very healthy and eats a good diet

to be honest Im not sure that multivitamins , probiotics etc make much difference but they cant hurt so why not

Tunja
11-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I must be doing something wrong but she has got into this bad habit. She has also had a couple of ear infections and a tummy bug since starting nursery and so her attendance has been really bad. What else can I do to stop her having these colds? x

Send her with a paper bag over her head to prevent droplet infection.:laughing:

Tunja