PDA

View Full Version : Sore knees :(

SJ35
09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
I have looked after a 6 month old, 8 month old and a 12 month old this week. All different days, so I have spent lots of time on my knees changing nappies, playing etc.
then today I get the bright idea of sorting out the playroom! You know, one of those really stupid ideas that you wish you hadn't started lol.
Both my knees are now hot, red and swollen just above the knee cap.
They have been playing up for the last year- ever since I started childminding.
Any tips? I'm going to get a change table for nappy times or change on the settee on a mat but I need to spend time on the floor with tinies.
Any medicines or homeopathic stuff that might help? Trying wine now to see if that helps :)
Stacey x

vals
09-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I try and sit rather than kneel if I am on the floor. I would love the space for a changing table - or the ones like they have in public places attached to the wall. I sometimes have a hot water bottle in the evening and rest it on my knees.

shortstuff
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
My gran has drank cider vinegar and runny honey for ten years?. Apparently a well known health food shop stock it ready mixed. Her joints are still really good n shes now 96. She swears by it, worth a try as she was diagnosed with arthritis before trying it.

SJ35
09-03-2013, 08:53 PM
My gran has drank cider vinegar and runny honey for ten years?. Apparently a well known health food shop stock it ready mixed. Her joints are still really good n shes now 96. She swears by it, worth a try as she was diagnosed with arthritis before trying it.

I hadn't heard of that , will be worth a try :)

funemnx
09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Ah, CHILDMINDERS KNEES! Seatone tablets might be helpful but you need to take them for a few months before you notice an improvement :thumbsup:

shortstuff
09-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Yeah i think if i show signs i will have a go with it. I prefer natural things rather than medicine. Hope you get some benefit.

Zoomie
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
My mom swears by apple cider vinegar and honey too :).

She dilutes it with iced water.

hectors house
09-03-2013, 10:00 PM
I buy "honegar" from Holland & Barrett - ready mixed honey and cider vinegar - the explorer Randolph Fiennes swears by it as a cure for arthritis - shame it doesn't work on frostbite though!:laughing:

Lilylulu
09-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Ibuprofen gel works a treat, they will be less hot, stiff and painful. I have arthritis and a torn cartilage. Wheatbags to heat are good, some people alternate hot and cold therapy. Practical tips: I have an oil cloth and changing mat over the bed (bungalow) as a big safe changing table. Wherever possible instead of kneeling I sit on my bottom - on a low chair or sit on my bottom on the floor. I need surgery to fix the cartilage and smooth the bone so I will be looking for other ways of adapting my practice while it heals. Luckily I work with another minder so I can manage the light duties. Remember to sit down when you can to rest your knees. x

sarah707
10-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't / can't really kneel down any more :panic:

I change nappies on the sofa - it's a bed anyway and has a plastic sheet covered by a normal sheet which is changed more than once a day if required and then I use a big plastic mat.

I have floor cushions and a big bean bag and I sit on one of those when I am playing with the little ones.

I hadn't thought about alternative medicine - I just avoid the issue where possible but I'll look into it - thanks for sharing guys! :D

mazza58
10-03-2013, 08:34 AM
This happened to me last year, its very painful i had to go to the drs who told me it was housemaids knee, if you google it it tells you the symptoms and treatments for it. I like the idea of calling it childminders knee though:clapping:, I have been childminding for nearly 30 years so no wonder my poor knees are sore :laughing:

lynncjt
10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I have problems kneeling as well, I have a large A-Z foam puzzle/mat in the centre of the room which really helps if I forget and kneel down!

The Juggler
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
poor you. I also try to sit not kneel but if I kneel I sit right back on my heels rather than putting my weight on my knees (if you see what I mean).

i'd give the heat rubs a go, voltarol or ibuprofen gel or if you want to go natural, try badger balm muscle rub (it's combo of ginger, chili, cardomoms - from ethical superstore online) or try rubbing in lavendar oil neat as has a soothing effect.

Sore knees can also be from too tight muscles around the knee (if you exercise a lot - or just from walking and pushing buggies and kneeling). Gentle stretching might help - the one where you stand on one leg hold your foot behind your bum, knees together and push out your hip. My brother thought he needed a knee replacement once but his physio told him his muscles were so tight they were pulling his kneecap out of line.:panic:

feel better soon.

jackie 7
10-03-2013, 11:38 AM
My knees got bad and I got a changing tank. It's got wheels so I put it into my playroom at the weekend. I got a big one that would take older toddlers. It is high so my back is also protected. I love it. Knees so much better but will try the hongar.

Carol-Ann Woods
10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I too have bad knees and things have improved since I bought one of the wall mounted changing tables over a year ago, which is in my bathroom, my brother fitted it to the exact height for me.

I just fold it up when not in use as it saves space, got it from eBay 2nd hand for about £70.00...

Dragonfly
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I have callous' from kneeing .