PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about batch freezing

nipper
09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
I try and prepare a couple of meals like lasagne, cottage/shepherd's pie or cauliflower cheese at the weekend, as it takes away the hassle of preparing from scratch after I get back from the school run. The other nights I only do quick meals like beans or spaghetti on toast or pizza so that I don't feel permanently confined to the kitchen after school! I was therefore wondering if it was alright to do say four main meals to freeze, two for this week and then use the other two the week after? What are the time guidelines for freeing/defrosting pre-prepared foodI have a chest freezer in the garage and load of those little lidded 'tub its' that we get from our local chinese takeaway which are ideal forfreezing, defrosting and then reheating in the microwave.
Does anyone else do the same?

vikiwizz
09-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I can't see why that would be a problem to be honest, I think it's a great idea. I think normal guidelines are 1 month, so what you are suggesting is well within that time frame

Lilylulu
09-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I also understand that the recommendations are to use it up in one month. I also do a big batch of soups and veggie pasta sauce and save it in ziplock bags, then its makes a quick lagagne or pasta tea. It's hardly any more effort to do a triple batch and it's great when you have a busy week to have home cooked dinners ready in a flash :)

Jenna
09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I do this too it saves so much time in the week

sarah707
09-03-2013, 02:25 PM
We do this quite often - well Nige does I tend to be on here :laughing:

He says to make sure you label everything with contents and date of making - and then date of use and check your freezer temp to keep Environmental Health happy if they ever visit.

Cool quickly, fast freeze - all the usual precautions to prevent bacterial growth and re-cook to at least 75c (not re-heat) when you are preparing it for a meal.

Hth :D

hectors house
09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I regularly dish up a whole meal for the mindees and freeze it in the bowl they will eating out of, I wrap it in cling film, add a label that shows date it was prepared and frozen, where meat purchased from, ingredients, then wrap again in cling film. I freeze spag bol, lasagne, roast dinners, fish pie, cottage pies. I never freeze or reheat rice, I prefer to cook it and serve on the day. I mostly use the meals within min 2 days and max 14 days.

MessybutHappy
09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Now that's what you call organised! I'm for ever freezing the wrong sized portions and you have just pointed out the obvious solution...thank you!!!

nipper
10-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Great ideas everyone thank you