PDA

View Full Version : Unison

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I have a part time job at my LA (unrelated to Childcare), so I am a member of Unison. I found this on their website: http://www.unison.org.uk/asppresspack/pressrelease_view.asp?id=2947

I wondered if they would help us?

As a member I have asked for advice. Will update when I know more.

I'm assuming we have no other union?

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Apparently CMs in Hackney are represented by Unison.

gingerjames1
08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Very interesting, but is this not unison planning their move into the cm world and getting us on side to then sign us up to their own agency!!! Just a thought!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

SammySplodger
09-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I doubt it... not really their thing.

The Hackney CM connection is not a new thing.

shortstuff
09-03-2013, 09:02 AM
That makes for very interesting reading and its good to know that we have such a large organisation speaking out for what we are saying.

SammySplodger
09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes Gail, Unison have quite a loud 'voice' and there is already a connection with some of the Labour MPs too... including Sharon Hodgson.

SammySplodger
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Also found details of a seminar planned in June - Sharon is chair and Unison involved....

http://www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/forums/event.php?eid=610

shortstuff
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
you're in top form today SammyS. Another interesting piece of info. Well done on finding it all. I will be sharing as appropriate, thanks.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Simona
15-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I contacted both UNISON and GMB today...both unions welcome cms
I am waiting for more info from them and if possible it is the first thing I am going to join!!!

Simona
16-03-2013, 08:46 AM
I meant to add that I have booked on the Conference in June organised by Westminster Forum Projects
I will be interested to hear what Unison have to say and will certainly raise membership for cms.

SammySplodger
16-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I am already a member, have been for 12 years. Very happy with the representation provided for my LA job.

sarah707
17-03-2013, 09:06 AM
What could / would Unison do for childminders though?

How many childminder members would they need before they act on our behalf?

What kind of representation would they offer?

They seem to charge by salary - which is not conducive to self employed income - how would that be worked out?

I look forward to finding out more because they are already a big voice :D

Simona
17-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I will try to find out tomorrow when I get to speak to Unison and GMB and get clarification to your questions Sarah
There is also Unite who welcome cms and Voice The Union but they do not cover cms because of tax...I didn't understand that at all???

For those on Twitter they always put out tweets about nannies and other childcarers (they are presently campaigning for ALL nannies to be registered) or give them a call

My question to Uniosn and GMB last Friday was that although we are self employed, we are legislated by DfE and regulated by Ofsted, but the current agencies proposals may be a barrier to sustainabiltiy and 'possible' unfair competition'...even the Free Entitlement is a barrier to sustainability come to think of it!

One person I may approach is Sharon Hodgson MP she may give some advice!!

SammySplodger
17-03-2013, 10:40 AM
You need a Hackney CM to answer this really Sarah. They have been members for years.

I only have LA experience of Unison and they are fabulous with any kind of campaign work, press contacts, pay cuts, legal advice etc

If the current shenanigans didn't exist I'd say really not much merit in joining.

But, given that they DO exist, they might help us get our voice heard.

bunyip
17-03-2013, 11:01 AM
You need a Hackney CM to answer this really Sarah. They have been members for years.

I only have LA experience of Unison and they are fabulous with any kind of campaign work, press contacts, pay cuts, legal advice etc

If the current shenanigans didn't exist I'd say really not much merit in joining.

But, given that they DO exist, they might help us get our voice heard.

To me, the whole point of a trade union, professional organisation, CM group, CM forum, etc. is to stand together and support one another at all times, not just a convenient 'emergency service' when we want something out of it.

Your suggestion is akin to me only feeling there's any merit in being married when I'm feeling a bit frisky or want Mrs Bunyip to cook my dinner......

.....oh, hang on. :p

SammySplodger
17-03-2013, 11:19 AM
.... not much merit in joining because we already have the NCMA, but as they are now 'diversifying' and also currently being ignored by Truss, we could do with someone bigger with a louder voice to help fight our corner.

In my other job I have been a Unison member for 12 years and only actually needed them once in that time. Subs paid every month though.

Simona
17-03-2013, 11:40 AM
We must be very careful not to confuse NCMA which is a representing association with a Union...they are totally different

NCMA looks after members' interests and can lobby the govt while a union defends workers' rights.

If any of the unions will accept cms I will be signing on immediately

bunyip
17-03-2013, 01:16 PM
.... not much merit in joining because we already have the NCMA, but as they are now 'diversifying' and also currently being ignored by Truss, we could do with someone bigger with a louder voice to help fight our corner.

In my other job I have been a Unison member for 12 years and only actually needed them once in that time. Subs paid every month though.

I tend to agree. I was a member of USDAW then RMT for most my adult life. Always found it infuriating that colleagues would go on about the union never doing anything, then suddenly joining the moment they went before a disciplinary board for anything. :mad:

Whilst I'm sticking with NCMA, I find it so frustrating they're rebranding to get "Professional" into the title whilst bumbling along in an ever more amateur fashion.

Yes, trades unions and professional trade organisations are different things, but they now seem inextricably linked in at least one sense. Not content with smashing the unions, the Tories and their lackies have moved on to attack self-employed people too and undermining anything at all that might protect the rights of the "hard-working families" they claim to support. Big business and big government picking on the little guy: 'twas ever thus.

"Then they came for me - and there was no-one left to speak for me."

Simona
18-03-2013, 06:39 PM
I did speak to a lovely guy at GMB, apparently ther is a national Union of self employed...will chase that up
In terms of belonging to them he does not see it as obstacle if many joined not just the odd one

he asked me a few questions and I explained being self employed but regulated and legislated, also the fact we earn what the LAs give us in terms of FE not reflecting our real fees and finally the possibility that agencies may put our businesses at risk due to unfair competition

Is it worth pursuing? would Pacey be able to negotiate on our behalf...the regional forum are coming up end of April may be good raising this, I might also put it on NCMA Local...see if someone responds
I will try Unite again tomorrow