PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter -do u do them???

Wendy Woo
29-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I was wondering if any of u do newletters for ur parents?

If u do wot do u put in them??

I have just done one but doesnt seem very interestin!!!:(
I have put in info bout holidays, who is here, just starting or left the wendyhouse, reminders for hats etc for sunny days, info bout me changin my invoice system,

think that was really it and not very interestin, it gives out some basics but im sure there should be more!!!
Please help if u do one x x x x

Trouble
29-06-2008, 08:24 PM
i did do them but no one was interested in them:angry:

although ofsted liked them

miffy
29-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I do one and what I put in them does vary but I usually do one each month.

I include info about activities and trips we might be going on, training I've done as well as the things you've mentioned

miffy xx

RedDragon
29-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I do them monthly.

I put little pics in with each subject.

This month I put in about the new children who had joined the setting, talked about the gazebo I had bought the previous month, asked the parents to tell me when they had booked their holidays, 1 of the children is leaving so have commented about that, just mentioned that my policies are in a folder in the hallway and if anyone wants a copy to let me know, talked about the school fete and how I was helping so if anyone wanted to come along I would be there and lastly talked about my mum's progress (she has been ill) as parents/children have been aware.

So nothing exciting but some things informative/relavant.

Annie_T
29-06-2008, 08:38 PM
i dont as not minding yet but i wll do once i get on my feet with it all, saves having to talk to parents and watch a mindee about soemthing. or calling them latter.. soempeople forgot if told lol

how bout, any changes to your fee's, times, holidays, trips witht he mindess, if you change your meals an update can be seen (if u follow me there), if you have pets coem into house or maybe pass away - some mindees cud find it hard to take in.

there we go hun x

Pudding Girl
29-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds pretty much like mine - I just say what topics we are doing in the next month, if I need anything ( like I asked for any dressing up stuff) reminders about holidays, sun cream blah blah, what training i have done/going to do, told them we will be at brewsters on x day if they fancy a cuppa with us and a play or asking for anyone to come in and do cooking or whatever.

Wendy Woo
29-06-2008, 09:05 PM
:thumbsup: thanx all that has helped a bit. think i might leave it as it is this month and add some more to the next one

christine e
29-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Starters and leavers and any birthdays that are coming up

Cx

deeb66
30-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I do one every month too.

Has pretty much the same info that everyone else's has.

Sometimes it can be long and other times it could just be one page.......depending on the info that I want to put in.

Sometimes though I do wonder why on earth I bother as I know that most parents don't read it anyway cos they end up asking me a question but the information had already been sent out in the newsletter :(

I had a parent ask me the other day how come my monthly fee was considerably lower for July :confused:

It would seem that they had forgotten that I am going on holiday in a few weeks and are now running around trying to get help and cover :rolleyes:

The joke is I booked this holiday last October and notified everyone at that time giving dates etc and have put reminders in the last 3 copies of the newsletter :angry:

Even though I do get frustrated and feel that I am wasting my time at least I know I have carried out my side of the 'bargain' and am communicating with parents.......if they don't read it then it is their problem.

Ofsted also like to see them :thumbsup:

disney
30-06-2008, 12:11 PM
i do a news letter every month i find that i can put things in that can be hard to explain to parents like not bringing toys from home or asking parents to take their shoes off before coming into the baby room ect . but i also put down nice things like what activities we will be doing this month and reminders of dates for my hols and sun cream , hats ect in bags :D

Spangles
30-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been doing one every two months with much the same info as yours but from next week I'll only have one full-timer so I don't know if it's worth keep doing one?

Does anyone else do a newsletter when they've only got one family?

deeb66
01-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I've been doing one every two months with much the same info as yours but from next week I'll only have one full-timer so I don't know if it's worth keep doing one?

Does anyone else do a newsletter when they've only got one family?

There have been times when I was reduced down to one family and to be honest I didn't really see the point in doing a newsletter just for one.

If I needed to tell them anything I just used to put it in the diary as it was much easier.

Once I had more families joining the setting then I would start doing the newsletter again.

HTH

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 08:10 AM
One thing that concerns me slightly is by putting in holiday dates are you not concerned that a dropped or discarded newsletter may inform the local burglar when is a good time to burgle you!
Might just be me being very over cautious.

sarah707
01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
One thing that concerns me slightly is by putting in holiday dates are you not concerned that a dropped or discarded newsletter may inform the local burglar when is a good time to burgle you!
Might just be me being very over cautious.

I know what you mean, especially when I see paper blowing down the road on recycling day but I think ultimately we have to be seen to be communicating these things to parents and the best and most efficient way (if only they'd read the thing!) is to send it out in writing.

Maybe if you are concerned, you could just put the name of your childminding business (or your first name)and not your address or other identifying details on your newsletter. That would keep it more confidential and secure. :D

angeldelight
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
I never put my address or telephone number on a newsletter - parents know who I am they dont need that information again

Not sure if parents even look at my newletter to be honest sometimes I find them stuffed in the bottom of a childs bag

But like Sarah says it shows you are communicating with parents - so keep your copies so you can show ofsted that this is one of the ways that you do that

Angel xx