PDA

View Full Version : Charging for grandchildren

lynnslittleuns
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi All. Do any of you look after grandchildren & do you charge full rates or reduced "family rates"?

vikkit
08-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I have no grandchildren but I mind my niece whos 7months old and I charge her 'mates rates' so she could go back to work x

ziggy
08-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I used to mind 2 of my grandchildren but charged full rate as minding is my main income, plus my son was able to claim tax credits to help with fees

CH1957
08-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I mind my grandson and only charge 'family rates' as I also look after 2 other lo's so this suppliments my income. Even then my son-in-law thought I shouldnt charge them anything! Like Im gonna suppliment his new iphone, ipad, audi a4 etc when I cant afford them!

hectors house
08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
I suppose I would take into account how many days I would be having them and how much income I could get from a full paying mindee. If it was just one day a week I probably wouldn't charge, but if it was 5 days I may have to suggest that they claimed some back on tax credits or used work voucher schemes - but would still do it a heavily discounted rate. I am not needed to look after my new (10 day old) first grandson, his dad will be staying home to look after him, but I intend to kidnap him one day each week, so obviously won't be charging.

However I do agree that if family are "flash with their cash" for luxury items they want to buy, then they can contribute a fair amount towards the childcare costs.

lynnslittleuns
08-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all your comments. My son & daughter in law are expecting my first grandchild at the beginning of Sep so it won't be until 2014 when I get little. I just feel as its my first that I really want to help them as much as I can, whilst at the same time childminding is my income so I can't be too leniant. It will be 3 days a week so a reasonable amount for a "normal" minder but I'm a big softy with my own family lol. I definitely couldn't do it for nothing, I thought I'd maybe suggest 1pound an hour below my normal fees. What do you think? xx

hectors house
08-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all your comments. My son & daughter in law are expecting my first grandchild at the beginning of Sep so it won't be until 2014 when I get little. I just feel as its my first that I really want to help them as much as I can, whilst at the same time childminding is my income so I can't be too leniant. It will be 3 days a week so a reasonable amount for a "normal" minder but I'm a big softy with my own family lol. I definitely couldn't do it for nothing, I thought I'd maybe suggest 1pound an hour below my normal fees. What do you think? xx

I would have thought was fair - they will be saving about £25 a week and if they look into workplace vouchers or tax credits they could save even more - they won't get it cheaper anywhere else will they or with anyone who will love the baby as much?

blue bear
08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
My friend does it for £1 an hour discount for her grandchild and this includes meals.

QualityCare
08-03-2013, 05:17 PM
If they get tax credits could you charge them your normal rate but only take the amount they get in credits that way they won't have to top it up.

Kiddleywinks
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I must be really mean.... I charge full rate for my niece :blush:

Kiddleywinks
08-03-2013, 05:24 PM
If they get tax credits could you charge them your normal rate but only take the amount they get in credits that way they won't have to top it up.

If anyone did this it would count as fraud!

Should parents be investigated, and they look to the CM for confirmation of fees, you would have to declare the amount parents claim for (but don't actually pay!)

Angela234
08-03-2013, 07:32 PM
I look after my grandchildren 1x 18 mths 3 - 4 days a week
1x 18 mth every other week 2 1/2 days
I don't charge them, it does restrict what i can earn.
I went into childminding to look after the grandchildren this is the first time i have had 2 at the same time (over10 years)
This is my choice