PDA

View Full Version : in hospital

noreenismail
08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I had an umbilical hearnia repair on wed 6th. I gave all my parents 3 weeks off and they were all very supportive.

The surgeon has told me that it was a much bigger operation and I cant do lifting or moving for 6 weeks.

Can I take another 3 weeks off. What will the parents think?

I have registered an assistant to help when I came back after op, but I think I need to take the extra 3 weeks of and then use assistant.
This is the 3rd time I've had this op and only ever taken 2 weeks off. So want to be extra careful now.

What should I do. Anyone had experience of taking a long time off.

Cheers
Noreen

chriss
08-03-2013, 09:20 AM
You have to put your health first so you need to take the time to properly recover. If you go back to working too soon you make be risking the healing process, and would have to take even longer off work at some point.

Am sure parents will understand, and if they dont, well its tough !!

hectors house
08-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Is there no way the assistant can help you for longer?- you will still be there to do all the verbal things with the children - you just have to tell yourself "no lifting or moving". I had shoulder op last year, had put it off for a year as I didn't see how I could take 3 weeks off work - eventually sorted out an assistant and only had day of operation off, but obviously as this is 3rd time you have had this operation you have to weigh up the risks or how good you are at sitting doing nothing when a mindee needs help. I'm not very good at doing nothing - my assistant caught me in the kitchen trying to open tin of custard for mindees lunch, with one arm in sling, just because I wanted to be independent.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and aren't in too much pain.:thumbsup:

starlight1
08-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I have to agree with the other posters..If this surgery has had to be repeated you do need to make sure you have completly recovered.....

Your health does come above anything else

Wishing you a speedy recovery

noreenismail
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
The assistant can work straight away and for as long as I need her too but I know I wont be able to sit still.

My mother in law as come over to look after my 2 (4 and 2).

I think I will take the time off. If the parents leave they leave. I don't want to go through this again. Its not fair on my boys or my body.

Thank you for the encouragement.
Noreen.

Toothfairy
08-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I had mine operated on a couple of years ago as it ruptured and strangulated, I was in agony. I ended up having full surgery as they couldn't do keyhole.
I could only take 2 weeks off work, week 3 when I was back at work was terrible (even though I put my self on light duties ie: no lifting, lots of TV for the little ones, no going out etc). Week 4 was a bit better.

Get well soon xx

noreenismail
21-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Toothfairy does the repair give u any problems now. Are you alright in lifting and pushing.