PDA

View Full Version : Local Authority Meeting

Memina
08-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Well guess what I was doing last night???? Yep I was at a bi yearly meeting with a consultative childminder group and the local authority until 10pm. I live in Hertfordshire and on the agenda was childminding agencies and childminder support at children centres.

Anyway I find that these groups are really helpful however only if CMs actually want the help and unfortunately I feel like its banging my head against a brick wall!!!

For example at the last meeting it was discussed that there was funding for 40 childminders to complete the level 3. Well youd think theyd ve rushing in well only 10 in the whole county took up the offer!

Anyway the thing that stuck with me was the LA lady meet with Ms Truss and fedback thier conversation. Basically it appears that these agencies will be for supporting childminders I.e be a central point where any childminder can go and access information, help, training, advice and advertise spaces.

FAB me thinks like children centres for childminders!

But obviously at a cost and LA lady couldn't quite explain how this would work.

Now in theory it could be great but in practice I dont see it working at all.

My brain hurts so much with these uncertainties and unanswered questions!

I'll be going round all my local groups with my laptop and portable dongle internet thingy and encouraging cm's who have no idea to complete the consultation!!!!!

I just feel so disheartened by non proactive childminders who are abviously waiting for everything to be given them!

Sorry my writing is as incoherent as my brain today!

AgentTink
08-03-2013, 08:44 AM
We had our consultation on changes to childminder support in our LA and out of 160 childminders a grand total of 6 turned up.

I have stopped sending emails with all the petitions and consultations on, and sent one email saying if you want to know about some of the issues and wish to be kept in the loop in regards to consultations etc then send me a email so I can add you to my email group. I have had 1 responce saying yes please. :(

I then bumped into 2 outstanding childminders who are part of the 40 childminders who are allowed to be on the LA network, and their question to me was have the ratios increased yet. I explained about MGC and how it has not been approved yet and some of the issues but they were so not interested that I made my excuses and walked away.

nikkiv
08-03-2013, 08:53 AM
It does make me cross how some do just want it handed to them! I for one am trying to change things setting up a new childminding drop in for our area! A planned activity each week letting people know what areas it may cover for their observations a question of the week for cms get them thinking about new ideas a whole support group! I've had 4 cms show interest yet many say how bored they are of the groups where nothing happens :( its sad that people just aren't motivated and wanting the best!

SYLVIA
08-03-2013, 10:02 AM
It is very discouraging the lack of commitment these cm's show. Yet when the day comes and agencies are here and they have to face all the chances and restriction they bring, these same cm's will be the ones shouting the loudest.
I've informed parents and other childminders and asked them to spread the word as far as they can but it's not a topic of conversation around town like it feel it should be. Maybe once Truss unveils the exact details, people might start to take notice. I think people think it just won't happen

sarah707
08-03-2013, 11:39 AM
This is the same problem we are having now with campaigning against ratios changes and agencies. I was talking about it with some of my colleagues the other day.

It's the same people who are writing letters, signing petitions, sending emails etc - while others are sitting back and waiting to see what happens.

I know it can be demoralising when nothing seems to be changing and nobody seems to be listening, but at least I know that, whatever happens in the future, I have done my very best for the children and childminders.

:D

hectors house
08-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Where I live other childminders just seem to say "well it's going to happen" - it is always me who brings up the conversations of trying to fight back, everyone else is accepting it!:angry:

jillplum
08-03-2013, 02:48 PM
It is the same here. Even after I have tried to explain the potential problems, nobody else seems to be at all bothered:angry:

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Same here - bumped into a bunch of CMs today in town and they are just waiting to see what happens 'cross that bridge when we come to it' type attitude. They can't be bothered to to actually DO anything proactive :-/

The older ones said they will just stop doing it if things don't pan out well and the younger ones said they would 'look for other work'.

:-/

Smiley
08-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I know exactly what you all mean, I spend hours emailing keeping many up to date and never have replies back from most! I wonder if it would be better sending an email asking them to reply if they want to be informed. It's disheartening but I want to be able to say that I did my best to share info and warn childminders what lies ahead.

It's so time consuming and energy zapping :angry:

loocyloo
08-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Same here. Most cm say they don't want agencies but are not interested in actually doing anything :0( makes me cross.

I sent an email to 40 plus minders ... ONE replied (& I dont actually think we've ever met!)

hectors house
08-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I know exactly what you all mean, I spend hours emailing keeping many up to date and never have replies back from most! I wonder if it would be better sending an email asking them to reply if they want to be informed. It's disheartening but I want to be able to say that I did my best to share info and warn childminders what lies ahead.

It's so time consuming and energy zapping :angry:

I'm the same, I e-mail links to lots of other childminders and never hear anything back from them - I even said on last e-mail if you don't want to be included, then let me know and I still didn't hear back - so I suppose I will just carry on as I can't be bugging them too much!

jackie 7
08-03-2013, 11:43 PM
A lot of cm's I know just say it won't affect them as they won't have more children and don't have to join agencies. Head in the sand time.