PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a kiddyguard safety gate?

mummyMia
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I have recently moved to a new house and need a new stairgate for the bottom of the stairs. It is a really small awkward space and I think a kiddyguard is my only option but these are sooooo expensive. :( Does anybody have one and does it drive you mad??? There seem to be a lot of negative reviews about the loud ratcheting noise.

Also, I can't decide which one to get as there are two newish models, the Accent and the Avant. The Avant is more expensive and has a different locking mechanism but I'm not sure if it is worth paying any extra for. Does anybody have any experience of either of these?

Becci26
07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Do you mean the retractable one?

Yes I have one here and it's fab, have got it between the lounge and kitchen.
Takes up next to no space and yes it can be a tad fiddly at times but I have mastered it and can now undo it with 1 hand!!
It only makes the loud sound if u dont hold the button down when releasing the gate.

zippy
07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
They're fab I got mine when first came out for £55 thought that was pricy at time it's fab though. You can stop ratcheting noise by simply depressing button as you let it wind back. It's only there as a safety feature if little ones manage to work out how to open it, trust me they won't most adults struggle even after being shown lol

rosebud
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Agree with the others, absolutely fab, some of my parents have bought them after seeng mine. Yes they are expensive but a justifiable business expense and worth the money. I've had mine 9 years and they're still going strong, i would pay out to replace them if i needed to. highly recommended.

zippy
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Agree with the others, absolutely fab, some of my parents have bought them after seeng mine. Yes they are expensive but a justifiable business expense and worth the money. I've had mine 9 years and they're still going strong, i would pay out to replace them if i needed to. highly recommended.

Me too mines been going 8 years, I'd replace if needed(although I would gulp lol) new ones are better colours too.

zippy
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Sometimes you get lots of three come up on ebay for a decent price, you could then resell two separately and get yours for next to nothing as most people are bidding on single ones

Zoomie
07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Are LOs able to undo these ?

My toilet is upstairs and it would drive me batty if I had to open it everytime someone needed the toilet.

Nicola Carlyle
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I have three in use as we live in a three story house and they are fantastic. Take up no space at all. Yes they make a noise if you don't push the button down while opening and closing but like has been said its a safety feature really for very clever little ones.

My older children 7,8,9 can all open and close this gate on their own.

They are well worth their money.

Jelly Baby
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Iv'e had one in the past (sold it for twice what i paid for it!) Def a great buy!

CathyAmy
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Love mine too - fell on it when at an NCT sale - in was £25 - so a real bargain - it was really the only gate that I could get to fit at the bottom on the stairs due to 2 handrails.

smurfette
07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
How about a Lindam flexi guard you can get them in Argos?

Carol
08-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Love mine had it years none of the kids can open it so does its job. It isn't an eyesore when not used well worth the money

Carol

Logan
08-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Love mine. Bought nearly 11 years ago to separate off a through lounge / dining room when needed to stop baby hassling the dog! Really didn't want to have a huge permanent gate there when wasn't needed often. Been fixed all this time & people never even notice it's there unless I close it. It can be tricky to open but older ones can do it with a bit of practice. As said previously it doesn't make a noise if you hold the button down; it's just a safety feature, allowing you to hear it if any littlie does manage to miraculously open the gate when you're not there.

louised
08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
I have one too, I bought it for the sole reason that I didn't want a gate permanently attached at the bottom of my stairs as I don't have young children of my own and thought a normal gate would be an eyesore. I love it and it isn't noticeable at all when not in use.

mummyMia
08-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Lots of positive votes so I will definitely take the plunge and order one. Thank you. :)
I don't think I will be telling dh what it cost though. :laughing: