PDA

View Full Version : ratio help..almost 5yr old

leeanne910
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Parent who i have babysat in the past for has asked me to mind for one week as a one off for her children.
Thing is the 4yr old who is 5 in may. The children are all home schooled by mum but she got traveling and dad works. Now does 4yo class as rising 5?

Heeeelllppppppppp :) pweezi

christine e
06-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry don't the answer to this one

FussyElmo
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
No only if they attend full time school and I dont think home schooling counts :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
06-03-2013, 10:17 PM
As home educators the children are considered by the powers that be, to be 'in full time education', but as they do this at home this does not mean at prescribed timed or on prescribed days: it is entirely up to the children's parents how they fulfill the legal requirements.

I home educated my children and even past the age of 16 my son was legally considered to be in full time education as he was home educated. It did take a bit of to ing and fro ing though to establish this with the child benefit bods, as hardly anyone official has any awareness of the legalities of it. Its usually up to the home educating parents to find out the law and educate the 'authorities' :D.

If it was me I would consider the child a 'rising 5' as he is at that age where he would be in full time school had his parents chosen state education for him :thumbsup: Indeed, I think I would feel the family were being discriminated against if I didn't apply the same rules.

freckleonear
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
I phoned Ofsted about an almost identical situation a few months ago. Once they finally got their heads around what I was asking, they confirmed that home education counts as full time education and the child would be considered a rising 5.

leeanne910
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Ok well i will let mum know.
Its for her 4 children. Age 4 7 9 11 i must be nuts but if mum.goes ahead i will.have easter holiday spending money in one week!