PDA

View Full Version : Advice on providing wraparound care only

Nikki Critchley
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi

I would like to provide wraparound care only ie before and after school for 5 years and over. Can anyone help me with knowing whether I need to provide learning/development for this age or can I just provide a safe and fun environment until they are collected by a parent?

Can I charge a flat fee for the drop off and another flat fee for the pick-up and would parent expect a snack or to provide the children with their evening meal and should I include that in the price or charge extra?

Would I be able to ensure that this is wraparound care only and not extra childcare during bank holidays/school holidays etc - would parents be OK with term-time only?

Lots of questions I know, but I am completely knew to this and am starting from scratch so would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Nikki

sarah707
06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Hi

I would like to provide wraparound care only ie before and after school for 5 years and over. Can anyone help me with knowing whether I need to provide learning/development for this age or can I just provide a safe and fun environment until they are collected by a parent?

Children in reception year need some documentation to show you have consulted parents and school about complementing their learning and development.

Some inspectors are looking for more than that.

Can I charge a flat fee for the drop off and another flat fee for the pick-up and would parent expect a snack or to provide the children with their evening meal and should I include that in the price or charge extra?

It's up to you how you price your service.

Check what clubs and other childminders charge so you don't over or under price.

Would I be able to ensure that this is wraparound care only and not extra childcare during bank holidays/school holidays etc - would parents be OK with term-time only?

It depends on the parents but I think you are severely limiting your options.

You also need to consider what you will do if a wrap around child has a younger sibling also needing care. You might find you are chasing away all your business.

Lots of questions I know, but I am completely knew to this and am starting from scratch so would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Nikki

I hope this helps :D

lynncjt
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I have a friend who only does wraparound care for one school, does not work Fridays or holidays and is full with a waiting list, so I guess it would depend on the demand in the area. Her child did go to that school so she was already known there which helped getting business to start with. She just provides a snack after school which is included in the fees.

I've been working 6 months and have only just got my second schoolie so would not have worked for me!

bunyip
07-03-2013, 09:05 AM
:waving: Hi Nikki,

I can't tell from your post: do you have an enquiry in mind from a particular family, or are you asking your questions in broad trms in order to set parameters for the service you intend to offer?

Nikki Critchley
07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
My enquiry is to help with me to offer this service to parents

Nikki Critchley
07-03-2013, 10:04 AM
thanks, that's really helpful

bunyip
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I was going to say talk to the parents if you have a specific enquiry. It might be worth asking around to see the sort of care people want. Being self-employed means a bit of a balancing act between when you want to work and when people need you to work. You don't want it to make you unhappy by working hours you find displeasing but OTOH you might miss out on a whole lot of business if you're too restrictive.

Talking with local CMs may or may not be helpful. I asked around here and a lot of CMs took the view that parents only want particular hours/days/etc. But then I get loads of enquiries for completely different arrangements. I think a lot of CMs convince themselves they are offering what parents want when that's simply not the case.
:)