PDA

View Full Version : Tortoises

JoRo163
06-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I am thinking of getting a pet tortoise (used to have one pre-childmnding, but it didn't survive hibernation last year). But I'm not sure if this is allowed. I remember reading somewhere that reptiles of any kind are unsuitable as they carry salmonella.

Would this be allowed? Do any if you have one?

Thanks!

singingcactus
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Reptiles are fine to own. Just remember to plan for how you will keep the children safe if you decide to allow your tortoise to be handled by children.
I keep hand sanitizer on top of all my vivs, so if I need to go into the snakes the chikdren see me always use it to clean my hands before (to keep my snakes safe from my cooties) and after to stop their germs from getting into mine or the kids systems. Fot the sake of my animals though Ibdecide if and when any of the kids can touch any of them.
With all of them though, snakes, snails, gerbils, rabbits or cats, the kids learn they need to clean their hands after. They all carry cooties of some kind.

singingcactus
06-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Meant to say OFSTED have seen my snakes and were more than happy, despite the slight possible, potential salmonella thing.

nipper
06-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I wanted to get one, having had them when I was a child (ahem!). I think there is some sort of tortoise rehoming scheme, but can't remember what it is called. Have you looked on Preloved at all, there are usually loads on there, but make sure they are proper breeders and know what they are talking about.

Not sure about the salmonella issue at all. If I did have them, I would let mindees touch and then just wash hands well afterwards:rolleyes:I can't see any great threat as long as you're careful with hygiene.
Let us know what you decide to do.

FussyElmo
06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I would treat as any other pets if the children stroke or touch then they wash their hands

christine e
06-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I would love to have a tortoise

JoRo163
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Oohhhhh, great! Thanks all if you!!! I was worried it wouldn't be possible with childminding and all.

I may very well go ahead, so excited!!!

kel1983
06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
I would love a tortoise but unfortunately have had to settle for a tank full of fish and 2 snails

singingcactus
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Oohhhhh, great! Thanks all if you!!! I was worried it wouldn't be possible with childminding and all.

I may very well go ahead, so excited!!!

I had the same worries a couple of years ago when I wanted to get my snakes. I was all set to pack in childminding over it, but it's all good now :) Just waiting on ofsteds reaction to my free range house bunnies ( getting another this weekend) lol. I have good health and hygeine in place though so there is no possible issue over them.