PDA

View Full Version : Retainer fee?

chezzagriff
06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
I have a parent coming out tomorrow who wants full time, term time only. Would you charge a retainer fee for the school holidays?

jelly15
06-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Yes. I do but if the parent wants to use a day in the school hols it has to be available for them.

chezzagriff
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Do you charge full or half?

chris goodyear
06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a parent coming out tomorrow who wants full time, term time only. Would you charge a retainer fee for the school holidays?

I don't as I have always offered term time only and holiday cover only(for schoolies). It's worked for me and I have often split the place between two families on this basis.

bunyip
06-03-2013, 09:01 AM

I don't charge holiday retainers for TTO. But I do start negotiating at a higher price for TTO and make this clear to parents, together with comparisons with local settings who do charge for holidays. I offer ad hoc cover during holidays (with no guarantees for TTO clients) and most take this up at least occasionally.

The only real disadvantage for me is that I realise a child might not come back if the parents change their minds during the long summer break. And I'd have missed several weeks' advertising opportunity. It's a risk I take.

I don't see a problem with retainers if it suits you and the parents will agree. Just remember that a retainer comes with a commitment: it's not "free money". You must be open, available, and keep the place vacant for the lo. You can't really charge a retainer when you go away, for instance. And if mum decides she wants the place one day, you can't really refuse.

In particular, if you are charging full rate to retain a place, expect mum to call you at very short notice to have the child during the holidays. She's paid for the place, so why not? This situtation crops up on threads here occasionally, and causes some dispute if you don't see it coming and have an agreement in place before it happens.

chezzagriff
06-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. Yes I plan to be open and so if the parent wants the place it will be available. I have in my contract that parents have to give 4 weeks notice if they decide to terminate the contract so if they decide in the summer holidays then she has to let me know otherwise she will be charged for the holidays plus the four weeks notice.