PDA

View Full Version : Tantrums at pick up

welshgirl
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I have little one 3 mornings a week. Most days at pick up time little one (who has been a little angel all morning) starts acting up, suddenly he says everything is 'mine' and is snatching from others, he then starts doing everything he knows he shouldn't, throwing lunch bag around, driving cars on the walls, jumping on the sofa etc. when he is told not to, he gets cross, screams angrily might headbut or bite mum, throw things etc. He is perfectly well behaved when he is here, it's just at pick up time. Usually mum leaves with him screaming and having to carry him like a rugby ball to the car! How can I try and make this easier for them both? Any ideas? X

nipper
05-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Get him ready before home time, literally coat and shoes on and push him out the door!

I had one 3 year old 'Princess/Diva', who I would get nice and calm ready to go home, then dad would show up and she would either completely ignore me from that point on or even kick out at me. I think they get confused having two adults there, but even so I know how you feel and it is very very annoying, especially if they've had a good day with you.

jillplum
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Have him all ready and bags in hand when Mum arrives. Tell Mum you are going to do this so she doesnt think you are rude. Quickly say bye and bundle them out the door with no time for mischief :D

Koala
05-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Have him all ready and bags in hand when Mum arrives. Tell Mum you are going to do this so she doesnt think you are rude. Quickly say bye and bundle them out the door with no time for mischief :D

Good strategy I agree

caz3007
05-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Have done this before, only needed to do it for a short while to break the cycle and then all back to not shoving out the door :D

mazza58
05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I dont know what it is with children and when parents pick them up, I have had this with a few mindees over the years, things that they know that they should not do or touch do it when parent arrives, so like the others I have them ready for when parents come and child is taken to the hall to greet parent and hushered out of the door, it does save any messing around and stress, and it does not interfere with the other mindees left with me. One child used to create that much when parent arrived that I got her to ring my house when she was five mins away so that I could get him ready for her to save any messing around, even sometimes when she needed to discuss things with me he would be running up and down the garden and out of the gate with mum shouting for him to come back and he just laughed and carried on and a few times ran out into the road, a few times I did think just tell him to hold your hand until they got to the car, but did not want her to think I new best :laughing::laughing:

jellybellys
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Have him ready to rock before the doorbell goes, i had a similar prob with siblings I care for and I have their bags by the front door, shoes on and coats ready (if not on) before the door goes, makes for a calmer swifter pick up. On the occasions they've been collected earlier than expected there's ALWAYS problems, ignoring, playing up for Ma or pa, throwing themselves on the floor, fighting, strops, the works. I also use the 5min warning before we get shoes etc sorted.

Little Puddings
05-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I've had similar problem with a 2yr old, mum found it stressful getting him ready and into his pushchair so she started to txt me as she was walking home from work saying '5min away will you please get the boys ready' so I go to little one come on mummy says can you get ready and he would get reasy really quickly wanting to see his mum agter his 10hr day. Though he would try to negotiate not going n the pushchair but all I said to him, it is dark and the cars can't see you. It worked :) at the moment he is just with me one day a week during school hours so I meet mum at school.

lynncjt
05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I agree with all that's been said. I have it with 2 little boys, 2 year old has to go just after the schoolies arrive so he thinks he's missing out and also know that we have snack then, so have started giving him a little snack to take with him.

3 year old has struggled as well and I got mum to text 5 mins before and have been know to ask Mum to leave if she arrives without warning and he kicks off, I then get him ready and he's then desperate to go to mum. Today I told him he would get a sticker if he got dressed nicely when Mum came and that seemed to work!