PDA

View Full Version : Refusing food?

Tinkerbell1979
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I've a mindee 17 months who used to smear anything you out in front of him. However he has started to refuse food and then just wants dessert/fruit. Mum said when he 1st started that if he didn't eat a decent amount to not let him have anything else bit never had to worry. But tbh I feel awful not allowing him anything g else but at the same time can see mum's point - what do you do?

Tinkerbell1979
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Smear = eat (sorry lol)

pipandbaz
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
It's a stage most go through and I actually stick to my rules no food no pudding in fact it seems to work as one of mine eats nothing at home yet polishes off breakfast lunch and dinner here .....now! It is hard when others have goodies and their left out but do you know what children learn by example. I always wait for all to finish their food before offering puddings. It works for me ....even works on my teenagers lol

Koala
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
It's a stage most go through and I actually stick to my rules no food no pudding in fact it seems to work as one of mine eats nothing at home yet polishes off breakfast lunch and dinner here .....now! It is hard when others have goodies and their left out but do you know what children learn by example. I always wait for all to finish their food before offering puddings. It works for me ....even works on my teenagers lol

As above - stick firmly to THE RULES, you are doing him a favour in the long run.

jackie 7
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I am the same. I don't give desert until they are finished eating. I have given small portions to get them back in the habit of eating. Food on the floor means they have had enough so don't need more. I also make sure they have loads of exercise. Snacks are tiny as they fill up easily.

mushpea
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Im the same but I break their lunch right down so they need to eat their sandwichs before they get their fruit, then eat their fruit before the next thing and so on, it does work and some do learn the hard way.
or like the 8yrold the ohter day who when offered banana or pear for snack said biscuit then couldnt figure why he sat watching everyone eat and got nothing :rolleyes:

Tinkerbell1979
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Thank you, well I was tough and did it, he ate two baby spoonfuls of cottage pie (had before so I know he likes) and then he just sat looking at it then picked it up and dropped some on floor, gave him another opportunity to eat then got him down from table. Told mum and she wasn't bothered, I said he might be hungry later to which she replied 'he'll learn' lol. Was hard but hate seeing food go to waste when I've taken time, effort and money cooking it from scratch

jillplum
06-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I am the same. Food on the floor means not hungry anymore lol They soon learn.

Tinkerbell1979
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM
He refused lunch too so has gone to bed crying as he kept pointing at the fruit and yogurt

kel1983
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
We are the same here. They will soon learn.