PDA

View Full Version : Colouring pasta help needed ASAP please

Little Pickles
05-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Hello all you lovely people
I have decided as part of my Mother's Day crafts to colour some pasta for my LO 's to make necklaces for their Mummy's ..... Only problem is I don't know how to dye pasta ! Could anyone please advise me ASAP as I can pop to the shops and grab what I need before picking up the schoolies
Many thanks in advance :blush:

jillplum
05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
If you are not cokking it then I dont know of any way to dye it. Can they paint it?

Little Pickles
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Was hoping to avoid them painting it as they are only just two and nearly two so not long concentration, I was planning on preparing it tonight for tomorrow .... I can cook or not cook ?! I know that you can use food colouring but I don't know how to do it :blush:

loocyloo
05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
i put it in a zip lock bag, along with some food colouring ... and shake shake shake !!! then spread it out on a tray and leave it to dry.

have fun:D

Tinkerbell1979
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't cook it if its for a necklace personally.

Tinkerbell1979
05-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Could you not out paint in a zip back then some dry pasta shake leave to dry then let ko's make necklace tomorrow?

oxfordshirecm
05-03-2013, 05:06 PM
i put it in a zip lock bag, along with some food colouring ... and shake shake shake !!! then spread it out on a tray and leave it to dry.

have fun:D

This is what I have done in the passed- try to put in airing cupboard if you ave one as takes a while to dry

AgentTink
05-03-2013, 08:23 PM
With rice I put it uncooked into a plastic bag and add a scoop of powdered paint a few squirts of hand sanitizer gel, and then just skake and move the contents around. Once done I pop onto oven tray and leave to dry. Sometimes though the colour does come off slightly.

MessybutHappy
05-03-2013, 08:31 PM
If you add a bit of surgical spirit to the bag full of uncooked pasta and food dye, it dries more quickly..easily over night. Hth!

rosebud
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Boil the kettle and put the water into a bowl with your food colouring - the colour needs to be quite strong. Put your dried pasta in, stir it and take it back out within a minute or two - before the pasta has time to go soft. Leave to dry on trays - best done on a hot day if you're doing lots so it can dry in the sun but for necklaces will probably dry overnight. I did mine the year before last and its still going although gets a bit less each time its played with (and crunched underfoot!). It was time consuming but definitely improved the play value of the pasta as they sort it according to colour sometimes and we have done LOTS of necklaces with it.

Little Pickles
05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Ah thanks for all of your help and advice :)

Just one more question .... What would happen if I baked the pasta in the oven to dry it out quicker ? Would it make it too brittle ?

MessybutHappy
05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Sorry, never tried! DH and I spent ten minutes shaking, spread the pasta out on newspaper, tried to get the food dye off our hands and left it until morning. Then we all played with it over breakfast! Made some lovely patterns!

zippy
05-03-2013, 10:04 PM
White vinegar and food colour works too

jadavi
06-03-2013, 05:58 AM
The recipe I used was
Dry pasta
Ziplock bag
Food colouring
Hand gell

Worked really well
Always heard cooking it was a health hazard but dry is fine