PDA

View Full Version : Just failed maths test for my nvq level 3

lou lou
05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
has anyone had any experience of this I have been doing my nvq level 3 for ages now and nearly completed and now i have to do maths and english exams for it just sat the maths and it was really hard well for me anyway i just do not do maths and useless at it, I think there is no way i will pass the maths exam so really down as I find it so unfair as I have done nearly all the work without much problem but have to pass this maths test which I really dont think I can do and sat here just thinking I should pull out, has anyone had any experience of this and failing and what you need to do to pass it to get your nvq thanks

christine e
05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Sorry no experience of this but did not want to read and run. Do you know if you were close to passing? If you don't know can you ask?

lou lou
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
no i failed miserably i just ended up looking at the questions and guessing most of them really cant do it

Koala
05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I dont know what to say except.

Well done for having a go :clapping:

Can you try again? :thumbsup:

Is there any student support for you to access?

QualityCare
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
How long have you got to do this exam, can you do it again, is it general maths to GCSE standard, have you got time to do some practice buy some maths revision guides and workbooks and do them, some of them have answer booklets which will help. I have no experince of NVQ3 so l could be talking rubbish.Think positive 'l can do this to the best of my ability' no negative thoughts, the more times you do it the easier it will become please don't give up you've put in a lot of work.

lou lou
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
they want me to complete by end of march feel like there is a lot of pressure as they are also throwing more questions at me to complete i cant do it all as well as working to complete by end of march

rickysmiths
05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Was it an Edxel Maths exam? Have you been doing any preparation for the Maths and English with your tutor?

I would speak to them because they should have helped you prepare for the exam in the same way they do with your Diploma and they should be able to give you or tell you were to get past papers to practice.

If you have failed it you should be able to re take it so don't worry.

hectors house
05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Have you been having maths lessons or did you just have to take exam with your knowledge from school? I was rubbish at Maths, got CSE level 3, tried next year at evening classes - O Level but it was too hard got an E, but then 17 years ago I took GCSE at evening classes and by practising as many past papers as the college had to get used to the style of question I got a grade B - I couldn't do it now but I think it was doing so many past papers that clinched it for me.

Hope you get some support, keep trying the end is in sight - you may just have to do a little detour!:thumbsup:

jillplum
05-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I have taken the maths and english tests you are on about. I was shocked I had to take them. As it is ages since I did any exams they said I had to do the tests. The maths one was really hard with what I thought were complicated questions. I struggled but did pass it. My tutor said I would have been able to retake it and she would help me practice beforehand. I would ask your tutor or assessor for help. Good luck.

nipper
05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Oh hun, feel so sorry and know exactly how you are feeling. It took me four attempts to get a 'C' at GCSE (E,D,D and then finally C when I was taking A'Levels).
I loved Maths, but for some strange reason found it hard transferring what I had learned in class and revised for, into an exam. Back then, the exams were proper ones about 2 1/2 hours long. I wanted to be a teacher so needed it to get into teacher training college.
When I worked as a Primary school teacher, I always had time for the kids who found maths harder as I could totally understand where they were coming from.
No real advice to add to that already offered except that if you lived anywhere near me I would come and coach you:thumbsup:

lou lou
05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Was it an Edxel Maths exam? Have you been doing any preparation for the Maths and English with your tutor?

I would speak to them because they should have helped you prepare for the exam in the same way they do with your Diploma and they should be able to give you or tell you were to get past papers to practice.

If you have failed it you should be able to re take it so don't worry.

yes it was a edxel one and only rang at the end of last week to say someone was comming out to do it today so had no time for revision or really what to expect not very good really

Kiddleywinks
05-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Maths exam? What maths exam?!

:eeeek:

Allie
05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
That was totally unfair on you if they didn't give you proper preparation, I had to take maths and english as part of my teaching degree but could only pass the maths after proper preparation.

If the college wont help you there are loads of sites on the internet with sample papers and useful advise, I found I needed one to one help for some areas and got it through learn direct for free

Don't beat yourself up for not passing something you weren't prepared for not many people could do that

Please try again after you have had some help

Allie

sarah707
05-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Oh hunny I am so sorry. If it's any consolation I would have failed too :(

I got my dd through her maths with a tutor - can you get some support and re-take the exam?

:group hug:

mama2three
05-03-2013, 06:36 PM
there are very very few people who would pass with no preparation. Its completely unacceptable of the college to put you in this situation.
wish i was close enough to help ...I 'get' maths , its everything else I struggle with!

RuthJ
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
What a blow for you after all your hard work for the nvq :(

I'm doing level 3 as well and have to do key skills - it's the maths that I'm fretting about because I'm useless at it :( had to retake gcse to get a 'c'.

Have another go, you can do it x

PixiePetal
05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I agree with everyone who says you should have some help getting through it

Like mama2three I 'get' maths and actually enjoy it up to a point - that point being an O' Level C in the olden days but more like a GCSE C now I should think! Have 'helped' DS through his recently and he got a B :) sadly I enjoyed most of it but am a hopeless tutor for anyone else :rolleyes:

I practised some online papers alongside him - not sure where they were from, and passed :) so at almost 48 I was chuffed.

I would rather not take English again though :( we all have our weaknesses but we also have strengths, remember you have yours too:thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
I failed the first time too, I was a bag of nerves & I'm completely useless at maths ( hubby has always helped the kids with their homework ) I just tried to revise revise revise till she came again & I did pass the second time by the skin of my teeth!!
Stay positive & don't beat yourself up your defo not alone xx

rachelmama
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hiya
I also had to do a math test as i was having a interview at college for my Nvq level 3 childcare, learning and development.
I'm the same I find maths really hard I just can't get it , I have gone to classes for basic mathes and English because I wanted to be a learning support assistant in primary school and I just wanted to buildup my confidence as I found mathes hard at school and my tutors was fab very nice to me and learned lots more than school I think , and I did work in a school for a year last year in fact until I had my new baby now I'm registering as a cm my forms are in just waiting for inspection. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Helen79
07-03-2013, 12:34 PM
did you get chance to do practice tests? We used this website (http://keyskills4u.excellencegateway.org.uk/tests/2007/CdDemo.html) to practice and then we only took the proper test once we felt confident enough with the type of questions we'd be asked.

Helen Dempster
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
NVQ for children's care? When I did my NVQ3 I didn't have to do a maths exam. I'd be exactly like you though, I'm absolutely RUBBISH at maths - anything else, I'm fine, but maths...even the thought of it fills me with dread! At least you tried, so that's a good thing, well done for that. It doesn't seem fair or right to fail you on the whole NVQ though just cos of the maths test? I've never heard of having to do this before, is it new? It takes a lot of time and dedication to get through an NVQ3 at the best of times, without throwing that into the equation (see what I did there...equation) LOL :)

jillplum
07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I finished my nvq3 about a year ago. I did it all at home with an assesor visiting me. I had to do a maths and an english exam on her laptop. Maybe different providors do it differently???

maryp0ppins
07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
jillplum that's exactly how I did mine :)

CH1957
07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I had to do English, Maths and ICT as part of my Level 3 Diploma CYPW too as it was an apprenticeship. You have to do these exams in order for the college to get their funding from the Government. I got no tuition because I have already done qualifications to above this level in the past, but they were a long time ago. I have passed my English and Maths, still waiting to do ICT even though I finished the Diploma last year!! But my tutor told me (unofficially because I was getting so stressed!!) that I do not actually have to pass the exams, just sit them!! Are you sure this isnt the case for you?

zippy
07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
has anyone had any experience of this I have been doing my nvq level 3 for ages now and nearly completed and now i have to do maths and english exams for it just sat the maths and it was really hard well for me anyway i just do not do maths and useless at it, I think there is no way i will pass the maths exam so really down as I find it so unfair as I have done nearly all the work without much problem but have to pass this maths test which I really dont think I can do and sat here just thinking I should pull out, has anyone had any experience of this and failing and what you need to do to pass it to get your nvq thanks

I would argue this, those tests should have been done before you were allowed to start course, not at end, pull them up on his big time

rickysmiths
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I would argue this, those tests should have been done before you were allowed to start course, not at end, pull them up on his big time

No that doesn't happen. Some companies do a maths and english competency test either before or just as the course starts to see what level of support the student will need. We did nothing before the Diploma started. I did my Diploma via one Sat per month Study day and part of the day (not much) was spent working on examples of Maths and English ready to take the external exams which we were told we would have to take as part of the course. You can't get your physical Diploma Certificate either until you pass your English.

We started the course in March and it had to be completed by the following April/May. The first of the class took the Maths and English in the October and I took mine in the Jan and some of the girls who failed in Oct re took in Jan. I was lucky and passed both so i have no idea if anyone from the Jan had to resit.

It is appalling that you had so little notice and the training company who you are with should have prepared you for the exams. I would be complaining to them big time and asking for some serious help now. They have an obligation to do this for you because they are paid by the government to get you to do these exams. nIt is also very bad planning that they are at the end of the course but I guess it depends how long you have been doing the course. I know some companies who do it in six months and I think it is totally unrealistic for a working cm to do it all in this time. We had a huge drop out of cms 20 started and 6 of us finished and we did it over 12-15 months.