PDA

View Full Version : GIVING NOTICE

carolyn01
05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Hello, I have decided to give notice to a screamer who I have had from September last year and I have finally given up!
I do need the money but its only 2 days a week but I have a new person starting in september so that will make up the extra.

I want to know if I give notice can I still ask to work for four weeks notice as I want to work another month as I get paid for easter (when I don't have him) and don't want to loose out on those two weeks? Or can mum decide to leave before the four weeks?

:panic:

shortstuff
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It all depends on what you have put in your contract? What did you state about notice?

smurfette
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Hia there was a topic on this last week,, I had a screamer I had to let go and mum took her out immediately .. She figured if she was so unhappy here why drag it out and I can't really blame her! Can you hang on until after Easter in case she does?! Still give her four weeks if she wants it but maybe be prepared to just let it go if she doesn't? Good luck know its tough!

pat75
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
It depends on the parent. One is ok with payment for the notice and will pay even if she takes a child earlier others kick out and you may have problems.

VeggieSausage
05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I gave notice to a screamer once and they wanted to go and not do the 4 week notice and I think that is fair, I feel if I am giving notice as this child is not getting what they need and you and other children can't deal with screaming (not a criticism) then it seems fair to let them leave within that 4 week period if they find another arrangement.

FussyElmo
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
^^^

Agree with the above post - if I was giving notice because I could not settle the child if the parent wanted to they could go before the period was up.

Koala
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello, I have decided to give notice to a screamer who I have had from September last year and I have finally given up!
I do need the money but its only 2 days a week but I have a new person starting in september so that will make up the extra.

I want to know if I give notice can I still ask to work for four weeks notice as I want to work another month as I get paid for easter (when I don't have him) and don't want to loose out on those two weeks? Or can mum decide to leave before the four weeks?

:panic:

To be devils advocate -

If I was the parent and you gave me four weeks notice to include a 2 week period when you didn't even have my child but get paid a retainer to keep the space open (I pressume this is what the two week period is).

I would be telling you to whistle for it, if you have no intention of having my child in the future you don't get a retainer, notice period or not.

And if you are giving notice because you can not deal with the screaming - which I totally empathize with and I would probably do the same - but I would be happy to get rid ASAP.

But to be quite honest I think it's a bit of a cheep trick to try and manipulate the timing to get 4 weeks money for two weeks care. Sorry!

FussyElmo
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
What contracts do you use?

I know ncms contracts state you cannot include holiday's in the notice period so you would have to add another two weeks on

merry
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
As a parent I'd refuse to pay a retainer for a space you weren't actually retaining for my child.

:)

carolyn01
05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies. No the two weeks pay at easter is as mum gets wftc and it is a term time only contract, but i get paid less money in the week so i still get paid holidays as well so in a way it is worked out fairly through the year. I don't take retainers (which I guess I should).

Anyway I will try to wait until after Easter but its so frustrating as I would get summer holidays (6 weeks) paid too but don't think I can last that long.

Thanks for your thoughts. Also he is a happy little boy as long as I am holding him or playing with him just can't go to the toilet, make lunch etc without him screaming and he is 15 months now and has been with me 5 months.