PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave and holiday.

Memina
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

I need some help with my business brain please!

I am planning on taking 1 month maternity leave for the month of June. Then I had planned to take off 1 month holiday in august as planned since last year.

Si my dilema is of course I wont charge for maternity as they will have to find cover but for my holiday its written in my contract I charge hald fee but parents have asked me to find cover if possible for this too.

Now I feel really bad that I will be charging and they will have to pay for cover a month is a long time and they have two children so they will be paying a lot.

Can anyone think of how I could explain it to them?

QualityCare
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
If parents cannot take the same holiday as myself even though its written in the contract that my holidays are paid for l don't charge as its unfair to have them pay twice, its probably not their fault they can't get the same week off.

FussyElmo
05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
A month is a long time for parents to get holidays at work.

I think personally seeing as its right after your maternity leave I wouldnt be expecting the parents to pay. But Im a soft touch :D

Koala
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It's a tricky one.

What would you do if a parent said to you I am taking one month off in June and one month off in August due to maternity.

Would you charge in full/ half as a retainer?
Would you look for someone to replace them?
Would it worry you that they may take more time off and not want to pay for it?

What I am trying to say is apart from the costs of childcare - It's a long time for parents to be without a provider, like fussyelmo says - Parents may not have the holidays to cover this or they may not want a disruption in care.

I wouldn't expect them to pay for maternity leave.
I wouldn't expect them to agree to 4 weeks holiday in one block.

I had somebody move childcare to me because their provider was taking 8 weeks maternity leave and they couldn't manage this.

I greatly support your right to maternity leave you should take time off but we don't have the statutory rights and safeguards of employment law.

But you have it all pre planned and if your parents agree you shouldn't feel bad about charging as they have agreed to it. I think half fee for holidays is a steal anyway, I would charge full.

I would make sure they understand the situation now though - its simple unpaid leave in June and Holiday booked in August, Give them a list of other minders who provide holiday cover if you have any, but I wouldn't advise you get in the middle of this, let them make their own arrangements.

Take care and congratulations Mummy & Bump :thumbsup:

Memina
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I know im so confused and feel guilty. But my August holiday is the same every year as my hubby doesnt fly we drive to Portugal so parents always know this a year in advance.

I had only planned to take 2 weeks off mat leave but cant really as im already so tired.

We'll see how it goes

Koala
05-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Just do what's best for you and baby.
That's what is important.

Feeling guilty doesn't get you any where. If its worrying you now though get it out in the open you will only brood over it and get more tired and that's no good for mummy or bump.

Take care :thumbsup:

mama2three
05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
If you take 4 weeks hol a year at half fee then it doesnt actually matter when - even if its all at once!
The parents know a year in advance that they need to budget for extra childcare in August. If it has never been an issue before then the fact that you have recently had mat leave isnt really relevant, youre back for a month between the 2 anyway.