PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between extra hours at normal rate and late fees?

smurfette
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi all

I want to do a newsletter about a few things like early drop offs late picks ups the usual!! But I have been wondering about Working extra hours and charging late fees.. How much notice do you all require to just charge the usual rate? Eg yesterday one of my mums asked me to keep Lo for an extra hour in the evening when she dropped him off, (she didnt use it and I haven't charged her, maybe something else I should have done? Only gave me half hour notice she was coming normal time) and I would have only charged normal rate but if she had been stuck in work or a traffic jam I would have charged an hourly rate for each 15 mins? Bit confused!

Jenna
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I've just sent a newsletter about the same thing parents were saying they'd drop off early in the morning and not turning up till normal time which was driving me mad as I was getting me and my son up who's 2 early so we'd both b ready. Then another kept booking in late and collecting normal so I've put any extra hours booked will be charged whether their used or not. Before 8 and after 6 I charge £1.50 per hour more and only charge full hours so more than 10 mins early or late results in another full hour being charged

hectors house
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
I think that if the early drop offs and late pick ups are outside of your normal working hours then you could charge a higher rate, but if parent just picks up after their normal contract finishing hours I would just charge normal rate.
eg: I am available to work 8.00 - 5.30 - if the parent who normally collects at 3.30 pm let me know that she needed me til 5.00 or rang to say stuck in traffic, I would just charge extra 1 1/2 hours at standard rate.

If the parents who are supposed to collect at 5.00 didn't turn up til 6.00 pm, then I would charge them an overtime rate - I don't have late fees as at the moment most mindees have gone by 5.15 anyway.

If the parents dropping off/collecting early or late inconveniences your childminding or family routine then tell them that is not what you agreed to when you discussed contracted hours, it can be very stressful wondering if you are going to get to school on time or to daughters keyboard lesson.

shortstuff
05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I would say if its hours you have agreed to work its normal rate. If you regularly get parents dropping early or collecting late charge extra. If parents drop early or collect late as a one off i dont charge but if it starts being a regular thing i charge as agreed in the contract. Hth

MessybutHappy
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I charge normal rate if its pre-arranged and hit with the big charges if it isn't! That way I can maintain good will and a good working relationship, but draw the line if the mickey is being taken. If the pre-arranged requirements become routine/regular then I'd be thinking about asking to discuss fees. I feel that where I can offer greater flexibility and stay within numbers I should as its one of the offsets against the need to drop parents in it when we can't open due to sickness or whatever!

smurfette
11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks all for clarifying!