PDA

View Full Version : Our dog is driving us nuts!

jadavi
05-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Any doggie experts out there?
We got a puppy nearly a year ago, cross pointer and spaniel (springer)
He has been hard to train but we have two main problems:
Crying when left - we now have him on a lead next to our bed (after trying crate and loads of things) at night.
Recently he's started wanting to go out and pee/poo at four or five am. We have tried tweaking his food and water intake the night before and taking him in garden for half an hour before bed (we have a dog/cat flap he can access from study)
We can't leave him free to wonder in that room at night as he
A) cries when alone... We are townies and have neighbours so can't sit it out...
B) wrecks the room even tho we have made it as dog friendly as possible....
C) digs everything up
In garden and makes massive holes to the point it is now unsafe for the mindees.
D) pulls so bad on walks it hurts our arms and nearly pulls us over -- has done at times. (He gets a really long free run every day on the beach)

Ar our wits end, espec with this new early waking- like having a baby.

Can't get rid if him as it'd break our daughters heart but she's off to uni in sept and I don't see how we can manage.

We're thinking of taking him for the snip soon but will that change things?

Any help much appreciated.
(starting dog obedience classes soon and had a four session private trainer over here when he was a few months - at huge expense!)
We will do anything but what?!!!

MessybutHappy
05-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Read the books by Jan Fennel, she's a dog listener. She makes sense. It sounds like your dog is under stress and you need to exert your authority as the pack leaders so he doesn't feel he has the responsibility. She has loads of easy tips that make a huge diference! Have applied to sevetal rescue dogs that would otherwise have gone back!

lynncjt
05-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I don't have any ideas myself but learnt loads from the dog forum at Dog Training and Behaviour - Pet Forums Community (http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/).

Found them very helpful!

jadavi
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks - our trainer uses this method.
How do we minimise stress? We have followed these guidelines. We are defo the pack leaders!
Can anyone recommend a good dog forum?

jadavi
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks will try that one x

Rubybubbles
05-03-2013, 07:29 AM
When you start obedience training things will change! We used to take our pup to classes stopped but have started again as the issue we have is walking! Now only 2 weeks in what a change

Although its no treats, clickers or fancy stuff just good old I'm in charge not you lol!!

Good luck

littletreasures
05-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Use a halti when walking. This will help with the pulling.

What time are you feeding him in the evening? This might be the reason for wanting to go outside early morning ifhe's fed later.

As others have said training classes will make a big difference if you practice between lessons.

Tazmin68
05-03-2013, 08:20 AM
We took our boxer to puppy classes when she was. Pup then again when she was one. A friend of min gets a special plug in which she uses when out as her dog used to cry from the vets. It reduces anxiety. That combined with leaving the radio on does the trick. Our dog during day stays in kitchen and hallway with a dog gate in use. At night she is in our bedroom with door pushed too otherwise she might come down stairs and have an accident.

AliceK
05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
How old is he?
I have always had dogs. Currently got a Springer Spaniel, he's almost 2 now but boy was he hard work when he was a puppy. It sounds like your dog is suffering from seperation anxiety. My old dog had this for the first 2 years of his life, he wrecked my home, literally. Ripped up carpets, dug holes in my kitchen floor. Once we eventually had a "good" dog trainer the problem was sorted very quickly. Haven't got time to write much, will come on later. Don't give up, it can all be solved and you'll have a lovely dog.

xxx

QualityCare
05-03-2013, 08:26 AM
It sounds like its the springer in him causing the problems, pointers are much more laid back my friend has two, springers are mad we have had two, they don't grow up/calm down for a few years they need loads of exercise off lead, they nearly always pull on the lead and will forget any training to walk calmly quickly our first one pulled like a trojen all the time the one we have now is better pulls but not madly, when walking every time he pulls turn round a full circle so he is always behind you or just turn and walk the other way you never get anywhere but they soon realise that as well. Springers always dig again our first one did massive holes this one doesn't as much. Crying and wanting to go out at night, just like a baby he knows how to get your attention. Puppies /dogs can have too much space and will wreck things just because they can, not out of boredom, he needs a smaller space (we use the utility room in the day time)separated by a stair gate so he can see and hear with a small selection of toys a soft toy, nyla bone, tennis ball and bedding, buy a kong to put his food in this will occupy him for a while, can you put him in the kitchen during the day, have a set time when he joins the main household, too much activity winds the springer in him up, every one is their friend and there fore should play. Having the snip will help a bit and calm him but don't expect a dramatic change. Try a dog training class we never used them but exercise and consistency work, springers are eager to please so let him know when you are pleased or cross, they are food orientated so rewards work well. Do you know if the springer side is working or show as they behave differently our first was working and the instinct to work is always there. Persevere with the crate for short times in the day give him a biscuit/treat when he goes in and when you let him out tell him he's a good boy and give another l use puppy markies as a treat even though mines an adult springer, cover the crate with a blanket for security. l am a firm believer in raw feeding and this can make a difference. It will get better but active dogs can be hard work when childminding.

wendywu
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I have a very stressed nervous cat and this caused unwanted behaviour and i tried everything to calm her down. In desperation i tried Feliway for cats, the plug in diffuser and also the spray. The difference is amazing she is a different animal.

It gets rave reviews on line and some people vets advise it, so i decided to give it a go.

Anyway they do one for Dogs, cant remember what it is called. I got the Feliway online at bestpets.co.uk a lot cheaper than at Pets at Home were selling it.

It would be worth a try if like me you are at your wits end

nipper
05-03-2013, 02:24 PM
We have a very bouncy labradoodle and did the whole crate thing when he was a puppy. We put a blanket over the top, it was his space and he was in there every night from the day he came home. We don't use it anymore (he's 4) and far too big for a crate but he liked having his own space to retreat to, if the kids got too rowdy. I swear by crates but I don't think trying to get your dog back into one would work now...to much water under the bridge etc.

I think your dog just needs to learn its place in the pack...and as for letting it sleep in the bedroom next to your bed. You're spoiling it.
Dogs go through the whole teenage years between about 3 and 5 and male dogs especially have the whole hormone surges, aggression in various forms etc.
Not sure what to suggest about the eating/pooing early in the morning though.

ivy
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I was so glad to see Jadavi's letter i thought it was only us having problems with a puppy .
Got a 16 months golden retreiver , he is more problem than all the mindees put together . Has wrecked the house skirting boards , plaster o nthe walls , children's toys .
He lives in the house can't put him outside he cries like a baby , scratches the door.
The worst one was when i was expecting my unannounced inspection last year had a metal stick in the garden ready to tie him up , placed him outside when the inspector came , he cried like a baby , so i had to let him in , i then had him on the other side of the gate so he couldn't come down to where we playing with the children , he howled and cried until we let him down and as soon as we let him down he more or less jumped on the inspectors lap and started licking her face .
Lucky she was a lovely woman and laughed and just said for me to write about the dog in the SOP. lol :D

jadavi
06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks everyone
Glad to see I am actually doing every single thing quality care suggested (thanks)
Kongs entertain him for exactly 12 minutes.
The going in the night was a loose bowel for a few days - don't know why (can't control things he eats on the beach)
We tried a plug once, will again.
The by the bed thing is because he cried from 6.30 onwards and we wanted to sleep
Later. He is fine when he hasn't a loose bowel though wakes and licks the lead which drives me nuts.
Halti leads are great!
Guess we are doing everything we can.
He has his crate which he uses when he wants to and we put him in there when he's been naughty (.knocking over bin n spreading it round kitchen) I know we're not supposed to but it seems to help. I have catches on all doors so he can't push them open.
He's getting a bit better when we go out and leave him.
He spends most of day with hubby in study (where his crate is) and can see us in hall over safety gate.
I love him to bits but would not have got a springer if I knew they were like this.
Got spoiled by our lab/ Germany shepherd .

chezzagriff
06-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Glad you are managing your dog. I have a problem with mine and its barking. He barks when someone comes to the door which I know a lot of dogs do but he also jumps up at people (only adults though). I cant have him jumping up at parents and he is behind a gate during childminding hours but when parents come because he is behind the gate and cant jump up at them he barks and barks and barks..................... I dont know what to do as my husband takes him out when a new parent comes to look around now as when my first parent looked around he barked for the whole half hour! Im surprised she came back! I know a lot wouldnt though and I cant afford for people to turn me away because of the dog barking. He is 10 and we found him when he was 5 and have never seemed to be able to change this. Sorry to hijack your thread but I dont know what to do. I have a parent coming tomorrow for a full time place. I need this parent to say yes and Im so worried that the dog will make her say no.

AliceK
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Springers are hard work aren't they. The key is to understand their background. My SS is from working stock. It's in his genes to be active, it also explains why he is seemingly impossible to walk nicely on a lead, they are not programmed to walk nicely on a lead. Don't forget that mental stimulation will tire them as well as physical excercise. Once you get your head around what as a breed they are predispositioned to behave like and why you will feel better. There is light at the end of the tunnel. My SS takes 90% of his commands from me with hand signs, I very rarely have to speak to tell him what I want. He is mental but getting calmer.

xxxx

smurfette
06-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Maybe it's silly season for dogs! My German shepherd chewed up a welly boot last night out of nowhere .. Hasn't done that for a couple of years she is three and a half!!

alex1604
06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
We've also had problems with our dog. He's a working Cocker Spaniel so very similar to a Springer. He has always been fine with my DS (he's 19 months) but since I've started childminding older children he barks as soon as they come in the house and every time they go near his crate. I am too worried to let him out of the crate in case he bites one of them. It's so stressful!